rotting mouth

joshypoo

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
I have a mixed breed bird that I noticed havong problems eating. I gave a little bread to them and thougj she was chocking. Her mouth where her tongue should bee looled like a wad of compacted bread, as i started scraping ot, I realixed it was her tongue that was yellow. Its waddle is also swollen very badly. Please help.. This is a bird that is picked on and is a loner and dont want it to sufferbit i have to help it.

I have a mixed breed bird that I noticed havong problems eating. I gave a little bread to them and thougj she was chocking. Her mouth where her tongue should bee looled like a wad of compacted bread, as i started scraping ot, I realixed it was her tongue that was yellow. Its waddle is also swollen very badly. Please help.. This is a bird that is picked on and is a loner and dont want it to sufferbit i have to help it.

Welcome to BYC - so sorry your bird is poorly. Can you take and share some photos of the bird - be sure to take pictures that show any/all areas of concern (ie the mouth). How long has the bird been showing these symptoms?
My first blush guess based just on the above would be wet fowl pox, but that is just one possibility and why photos and more information would be needed.

Welcome to BYC - so sorry your bird is poorly.  Can you take and share some photos of the bird - be sure to take pictures that show any/all areas of concern (ie the mouth).  How long has the bird been showing these symptoms?
My first blush guess based just on the above would be wet fowl pox, but that is just one possibility and why photos and more information would be needed. 

Ill take pictures in the morning. Its probably had it for a month. I just hope someone can help.

I would have to agree with Ol Grey Mare that canker or wet pox may be possible problems. If you haven't seen any signs of fowl pox in your flock, then canker may be more likely. You can Google "canker in chickens" to get some pictures of it. Metronidazole, FishZole, or Flagyl 250 mg daily by mouth is the usual treatment for canker, also called trichomonias which is a protozoan infection.

Two years ago our close friends had an outbreak of canker in their small flock of hens and roosters. They treated with FishZole and the chickens rapidly improved, though one hen died from some sort of allergic reaction to the medication. I hope your hen's issues can be easily resolved. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom