Rouen Duck thread

Grrrr this app keeps posting before I'm done!!! Anyway I have 2 male Pekins and 2 female Rouens they had 3 babies last week, guess they are Rou-kins??? Lol

DUCKLINGS!!!
celebrate.gif
They're to stinking cute!

@naturebound The head vibrating and lunging, from what i've read, is a dominance thing. I always thought it was a lovey thing until I had read that and saw my rouen doing it to other wild ducks when I had taken him to a local pond. After observing him more closely when doing it to me it does seem like a dominance behavior. When he does it to me I nicely put my hand around his beak to remind him who's boss. Not aggressively or tightly ever, but a friendly reminder. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any Rouens that need re-homing? I've had a drake and hen since they were 2 weeks old, now 8 months. The drake had a terrible run in with a strange dog (not the one in the picture below) and had to be put down immediately to avoid unimaginable suffering on his part. Since then the hen has been very, very upset. Loud, vocal, running around looking for her lost mate. I want to ease her pain, but it's almost impossible to find a male (or even female for that matter- just company!) Rouen at this time of year that isn't a duckling. I would prefer an adult or at least one old enough to be outside in winter.
Does anyone have advice on how to maybe make the loss easier on the hen? They are spoiled pets, have 1/2 acre fenced in yard to free range, a 10x10 pen with pool, a small container within the pen for warmth and nest building, and 24/7/365 access to food and water.

Oh, so sad.

Sometimes an unbreakable mirror, or life-size photo of the duck who is gone can help.

There is a free rehoming forum on BYC, and there's the Where Am I Where Are You forum.

Where do you live?
Does anyone have any Rouens that need re-homing? I've had a drake and hen since they were 2 weeks old, now 8 months. The drake had a terrible run in with a strange dog (not the one in the picture below) and had to be put down immediately to avoid unimaginable suffering on his part. Since then the hen has been very, very upset. Loud, vocal, running around looking for her lost mate. I want to ease her pain, but it's almost impossible to find a male (or even female for that matter- just company!) Rouen at this time of year that isn't a duckling. I would prefer an adult or at least one old enough to be outside in winter. Does anyone have advice on how to maybe make the loss easier on the hen? They are spoiled pets, have 1/2 acre fenced in yard to free range, a 10x10 pen with pool, a small container within the pen for warmth and nest building, and 24/7/365 access to food and water.

This is a picture of my baby and hubby. We have named him Lucifer (or Lucy if it turns out to be female). Out of a group of 4 he is the only survivor. But he gets along great with our older Pekins.

Back
Top Bottom