Rouen Duck thread

He is outside but likes to come in the house from time to time. He is not nice to other animals so it worries me that he will be mean to a new duck. I dont exactly have the ability to be able to keep them separated all the time. Does it affect him if I don't get him a female?

Last edited:
He is outside but likes to come in the house from time to time. He is not nice to other animals so it worries me that he will be mean to a new duck. I dont exactly have the ability to be able to keep them separated all the time. Does it affect him if I don't get him a female?

Well, he should have the company of another duck for him to be happy, healthy, and mentally fit. Otherwise, he will see himself as a human. It's not good for him to be the only duck there, in fact the thought makes me cringe a little.

Well, he should have the company of another duck for him to be happy, healthy, and mentally fit. Otherwise, he will see himself as a human. It's not good for him to be the only duck there, in fact the thought makes me cringe a little.

We have wild mallards that come and visit him but he is also mean towards them.

We have wild mallards that come and visit him but he is also mean towards them.

I'm sorry but I think it's kind of funny. A little duck running around thinking he is a person lol. I personally don't see the harm but I'm no expert. My grandmas little shih tzu dogs all think they are people lol. They are pretty annoying but are good to my grandmother. If it were me I would still try to find him a mate though. Their are lots of good articles on here about duck integration. It does take time and you don't have to throw it in there and just let them pick at each other. Try putting up an introduction pen or a see through divider in the coop where they can see each other. When they are near each other toss them treats. Let them see each other for a few weeks without touch. Once they get used to each other the introduction should go much smoother. Their may be some minor pecking and wing flapping but no blood should be drawn and neither should be hurt. If one is separate them immediately and start over. Hope this helps. :)

Just take it slow. Do you have a dog kennel? If so just buy a puppy pen and use that as your coop and run for your female, and after bit, let them run around together. If he is that mean, your best interest may be to eat him.

It's sad to know you could eat your own duck that you call your baby. There is no way in hell I would ever eat him. He is happy as can be and loves being a human!

It's sad to know you could eat your own duck that you call your baby. There is no way in hell I would ever eat him. He is happy as can be and loves being a human!

My ducks are not my babies, they are ducks.
Ducks should be ducks. And you know, some people actually appreciate the goodness of duck meat. That's how I get rid of extra drakes. Get used to it. :rant:

Aww I would never eat my ducks or chickens. If he can't get along with others I'm sure keeping him as your pet is fine as long as he has enough company. Also if you have chickens keep a close eye. During mating season a duck can breed a chicken to death if he doesn't have a mate. Good luck. :)

Aww I would never eat my ducks or chickens. If he can't get along with others I'm sure keeping him as your pet is fine as long as he has enough company. Also if you have chickens keep a close eye. During mating season a duck can breed a chicken to death if he doesn't have a mate. Good luck. :)

Thank you I'm glad someone else understands.

Back
Top Bottom