Rouen Duckling Leg

Rocketrob

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
San Francisco
No this is not a recipe,
One of my little 2week old rouen ducklings has gone limp overnight, not sure if the hen or drake stepped on him/her or what but tried a epsom salt soak which seemed to help.
It is her/his left leg/foot.
any thoughts?
At first it seemed the ankle was broken but under closer examination,
nothing seems to be broken

Last edited:
give it time to see if its a strain, and also make sure its got fluffy bedding so its easy to walk around. what age is it?

It is his left foot/leg and posted a photo of right for reference.
Thank you for your help.

wood chips.
Should I separate it from the others?
I put them all(with hen and drake) up at night to keep away from raccoons

Last edited:
I wouldnt, also ducks can have that from when they were hatched and it takes a few weeks to fully notice. Give it vitamins and electrolytes in the water to help heal if it is an injury and have a good layer of bedding so its not slipping around while walking.

Better yet get a specific vitamin called Niacin the plain stuff not flush free or time released, you may have to ask for it because for some reason they keep it behind counter. crush up into 1 gal. of water and then put into what ever you give them to drink out of, 150mgs to start with, all ducks can drink this it will not hurt them. it does look a little swollen so it may have gotten stepped on or stampeded when they all got scared. you may never know but I would put lil one inside a clear plastic container where it can still see everyone but can have a bit of rest for a few days. even giving it a buddy so it won't be lonesome. if it is trying to keep up with the crowd and gets tromped on again and again it won't ever heal. and yes a good poultry electrolyte vitamin along with the niacin would be a good idea. or instead of a container/brooder if you can make a temp place with fencing to keep lil one from running for a few days may help. but still with it's family. Hopefully just a sprain but some ducklings just need a lil extra boost of the B's to get them going on the right leg so to speak. Keep us updated please. and Welcome

Crested and Miss Lydia,
Thank you for your help.
I got them some electrolytes and niacin vitamins this afternoon at lunch and when I came home the little guy was doing better - at least he was up on it and when they ran away from me I could almost not tell which one it was.
Caught him and took him upstairs for another epsom salt bath while my 12 yr old daughter fed him lettuce from her hand. He drank the epsom salt brine to help down the lettuce and didn't seem fazed and would not take any fresh water.

Put down fresh bedding and when I returned him to the pen the others were pecking at him in curiosity a bit. think he smelled from the bath-the epsoms were my wife's Bath Therapy. So I just fed the little piglets and with full bellys they stopped.

He seems much better than this morning as he would not even get up. I am tiptoeing around so not to stampede them (so right Miss Lydia) and I will give him another morning warm bath.
Thanks Again!
Best,
Rob

Happy Ducklings - I can't even tell which one was hurt!
Thank you all for your help and compassion.
They are dining on my kale and lettuce winter crop which has gone to seed - getting their B's
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom