Rouens

Regarding the Rouens...

what you will probably get is somethinmg somewhere in the genetic chain between true Rouen and True Mallard. Since Rouen was bred from Mallard they tend to work back toward Mallard when the breeding is not perfect, but thats ok. The difference is mostly in size. Same green head on drakes, white neck ring if you;re lucky, beautiful white/blue stripes on wings with snow white underneath. Hens will be the thatch brown thats laced with distinctive brown trim, blue wing band and white underside. Same birds, they just come in small, medium , large and extra large.

Rouens will be in the area of 10+ lbs...hens almost as big as drakes. I have a pair that DO fly on a daily basis and are great pets, they're smart and capable of learning and they are as loyal as a hound dog. The hen can be very...vocal when she wants something. The drake can be quite mean when he's protecting his mate or when he is in the psycho-duck breeding cycles that they go thru.
Just a warning...the drakes are big enough to do some damage if they are angry or offended, so when yours is in the psycho-duck mode...just leave him alone. It'll pass in a couple days at most. Mine almost took my lip off once and has drawn blood before....you;ll know if its a bad time. The rest of the time they are as sweet as kittens. Nice, gentle and affectionate. My drake melts when I hold him and scratch his beak. Literally relaxes in my arms and falls asleep. Not that same bird that tried to kill me the week before, but I understand that its not his fault. Not his fault for him doing what his hormones force him to do. The mating instinct is strong and makes them a little crazy at times......... Psycho-duck.

If you get to about 5-6 mts old and they are still closer to 2 lbs...then they are more Mallard than Rouen. If they are smaller they can/will fly like a bird, but will stick around where they feel secure and well fed. My little Mallard hen flies thru the house (i know, bad habit but she ignores me) all the time and navigates furniture and ceiling fans with ease. My drake has taken a flight thru the house but that didn't end so well...since he is a LOT bigger and bigger means harder to stop. He tried to land on my desk and skidded across the top and took out a lamp and cordless phone not to mention a stack of papers..He learned his lesson the first time as far as flying indoors. Outdoors he is welcome to fly all he wants but the extent of that is usually to get back to where I am faster than  walking. Ever had a 10-12 lb bird come flying AT you and try to land on your shoulder?   That didn't work so well either...We still try every once in a while since I heal fairly quick. Duck toe-nails are pretty sharp. You notice things like that as they are sliding off your back while trying to hold on..

Either way or somewhere inbetween you will get a nice looking bird thats good at bonding with humans and pretty durable as a pet or member of the home. Personally I enjoy my big ducks alot. They seem to be less nervous and more able to sit and relax than the little Mallard, although she very sweet and friendly. The mallard might jump up and do a lap around the room...and thats always a surprize when you;re holding one that suddenly takes off...They LOVE baths...so train them to swim early...2nd or 3rd day. Shallow water until they get feathered in. Lots of greens and good chick starter and you'll see birds that grow in front of your eyes...there is something somewhere that says they grow as ducklings at a rate of nearly doubling in size every 10- days to 2 weeks. I thought that has to be a joke.....it is NOT.  So, whatever containment that you have this week will be outgrown within 2 weeks. And to have good, bonded ducks you have to raise them indoors the first 6-8 weeks...sometimes up to 3 months. It comes down to your level of committment to them as pets or as livestock.
I'm sure you'll enjoying having them in your life... Few things are more entertaining than ducklings.

Good luck and have fun !
DD

Now you went and made me want roens even MORE! I have pekins now and enjoy the big flightless ducks but I wany roens for their coloring and the wonderful personality that I've heard they have. *sigh* now I have to rework my gameplan to find some near me.

My 2 big ducks, mostly Rouen, are as individual as you or me. They each have their own personality and their own habits...The drake, Buddy, is like a teenage boy that's on the football team...he likes to play rough, make like he's the tough guy, wants to fight sometimes but he'll melt in my arms and fall asleep when I scratch his beak and rub his neck. Few people have ever seen a duck that size ride on someones shoulder with his head stuffed in a shirt pocket.....I can walk around like that as long as one hand is gently rubbing his neck....if I stop he'll give me a little soft.."whaaackkk" to let me know that I'm not done yet...completely spoiled.

The hen is a sweet little girl...quiet and timid, well mannered when I'm around. Shy even...hold her and she relaxes and lays her head on your shoulder like a child. When shes not around me, she's as loud as anybody and as vocal as a drunken cabaret singer. She lets me know when its time to eat, and when shes bored and wants some attention. She'll stir up the others around the pond until they are ALL screaming and when I stick my head outside to see what the racket is about, she'll stand there looking at me as if to say ..."it's not me!"

If they were boring I'd have a dog. They're not. The color on buddy is described as iridescent and his drake feather is a double, side by side and 2 rows of perfectly curled tail feathers. Squeeks thatch work coat is like perfectly laid shingles on a roof except a complex group of various shades of brown thats perfectly symetrical.. Her blue "racing strip" sets off her wing as she stretches it out with the pure white soft down feathers underneath...

In short...

They're big beautiful birds.

My 2 big ducks, mostly Rouen, are as individual as you or me.  They each have their own personality and their own habits...The drake, Buddy, is like a teenage boy that's on the football team...he likes to play rough, make like he's the tough guy, wants to fight sometimes but he'll melt in my arms and fall asleep when I scratch his beak and rub his neck. Few people have ever seen a duck that size ride on someones shoulder with his head stuffed in a shirt pocket.....I can walk around like that as long as one hand is gently rubbing his neck....if I stop he'll give me a little soft.."whaaackkk" to let me know that I'm not done yet...completely spoiled.

The hen is a sweet little girl...quiet and timid, well mannered when I'm around. Shy even...hold her and she relaxes and lays her head on your shoulder like a child.  When shes not around me, she's as loud as anybody and as vocal as a drunken cabaret singer. She lets me know when its time to eat, and when shes bored and wants some attention. She'll stir up the others around the pond until they are ALL screaming and when I stick my head outside to see what the racket is about, she'll stand there looking at me as if to say ..."it's not me!"

If they were boring I'd have a dog. They're not.  The color on buddy is described as iridescent and his drake feather is a double, side by side and 2 rows of perfectly curled tail feathers.  Squeeks thatch work coat is like perfectly laid shingles on a roof except a complex group of various shades of brown thats perfectly symetrical.. Her blue "racing strip" sets off her wing as she stretches it out with the pure white soft down feathers  underneath...

In short...

They're big beautiful birds.

You're killing me here! I love my girls, big and gleaming white and always happy to see anyone. If they hear a car pull into the drive they waddle on out front to see who it is. During wind storms they stand on the lip of their pond, its dug into a little hill, and flap as hard as they can flap. Heads pointing straight ahead, eyes all squinty, looking around with complete joy like "look, I'm flying, do you see, I'M FLYING!" They are fantastic! Now that I am looking to get some more because they are so great and my duck egg demand has gone way up rouens have really struck my fancy. Tell me you are near me, and willing to sell me some ducklings, please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom