Roundworm

mark1111

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
I am confused because I have done a lot of research on medications to treat roundworm. Many Vets state that Wazine (Piperazine) is NOT safe for Laying hens that produce eggs for human consumption. Then... I see tons of people and "experts" recommending using said product for treatment toward roundworm. Why are some saying it's not safe while others say to use it? Is there a safe way to treat chickens with roundworm? Thank you in advance!

It's safe to use on them, it's just not labeled for use in laying hens. Most likely because no studies have been done on egg withdrawal time. Without that data, they won't label it for use in laying poultry.

You might be better off using something else anyway unless you're sure what your birds have is definitely round worm. Wazine would kill them and nothing else. A more broad spectrum wormer will get other worms too. You can worm first with Wazine to kill off roundworms if they have any, and then follow up with something like Safeguard to get everything else if you wish.

It's safe to use on them, it's just not labeled for use in laying hens. Most likely because no studies have been done on egg withdrawal time. Without that data, they won't label it for use in laying poultry.

You might be better off using something else anyway unless you're sure what your birds have is definitely round worm. Wazine would kill them and nothing else. A more broad spectrum wormer will get other worms too. You can worm first with Wazine to kill off roundworms if they have any, and then follow up with something like Safeguard to get everything else if you wish.

Thank you. I know for sure that they have round worm because I had it lab tested. I will try Wazine.

Back
Top Bottom