Rubber band wrapped around leg of pigeon

Please do not amputate at home! Jsut because the foot is dead does not mean she can't feel it. It will still hurt. You wont be able to keep it perfectly clean, and you'll then have a large wound you'll need to help heal. This foot will likely fall off on its own, making a clean breakaway.
Is this a wild pigeon?

Please do not amputate at home! Jsut because the foot is dead does not mean she can't feel it. It will still hurt. You wont be able to keep it perfectly clean, and you'll then have a large wound you'll need to help heal. This foot will likely fall off on its own, making a clean breakaway.
Is this a wild pigeon?
Yes, she’s a feral pigeon. I’m worried that leaving it alone will cause an infection because of the dead tissue.

Yes, she’s a feral pigeon. I’m worried that leaving it alone will cause an infection because of the dead tissue.
I believe it will fall off on its own. Amputation opens a wound, which could also lead to infection. Both come with risks, but leaving it will be less painful and stressful for her.
What do you pan to do once the leg falls off? She wont be able to do very well in the wild. Are you in the position to keep her, or is a rescue an option?

I believe it will fall off on its own. Amputation opens a wound, which could also lead to infection. Both come with risks, but leaving it will be less painful and stressful for her.
What do you pan to do once the leg falls off? She wont be able to do very well in the wild. Are you in the position to keep her, or is a rescue an option?
I’m going to keep her. She is unreleasable (or I would’ve taken her to a wildlife rehab) and it’s legal to keep wild pigeons as pets since they’re nonnative and considered pests.

I’m going to keep her. She is unreleasable (or I would’ve taken her to a wildlife rehab) and it’s legal to keep wild pigeons as pets since they’re nonnative and considered pests.
Dumb question but, does she have a name?

Does it look like she was owned and escaped? I've seen lots of pigeons escape at shows, they're usually banded too.

The foot will fall of or self amputate on it’s own. Chickens with frostbitten feet do this each winter. It should be able to survive this on it’s own. In my opinion, I would release her. She will be able to hop and fly, and get water and food.
Would you release her before or after the foot amputates?

Back
Top Bottom