Rubber band wrapped around leg of pigeon

In chickens who I have followed here online who have suffered severe frostbite, people have reported the toes or feet may come off after a month to 6 weeks. You may want to look at 3 D printer artificial legs that some have designed for birds.
Here is a link about a group of students near me that designed an artificial leg for a young chicken with a deformed leg:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2938108
You can also get 3D printed prosthetics from a seller on Etsy. Not sure how well they work, but there was one review someone left claiming it worked great for their rooster.
I will look into it, but I have read that the prosthetic needs something to attach it, and it might not be able to attach in this case.

It’s mostly about misinformation. People think that white doves are naturally occurring. So they think they’re setting them free into the wild.
I read of someone who rents out white homing pigeons. That way people can "release" the "doves," and the pigeons fly safely home to their loft again. It sounded like a very good idea to me!

I read of someone who rents out white homing pigeons. That way people can "release" the "doves," and the pigeons fly safely home to their loft again. It sounded like a very good idea to me!
That's cool! Keep the tradition and protect the "doves".

If it’s any consolation it could have been an ex racer if it had a band on. Strange that it was as tight as it was.
that’s the one good thing about the pigeon though. They are as tough as old boots and can adapt so easily. Next time your in a city, take a look at the pigeons toes scuffling across the pavements. They are a hardy breed and one to be admired.
They also helped win the war!!

I believe releasing white homing pigeons was the original tradition. However, the issue is that the myth of releasing white birds into the wild makes people think they can release any white pigeon or dove, even those that are too young or don’t have any homing instincts. This is a very common practice because it’s usually much cheaper than hiring someone with homing pigeons.

If it’s any consolation it could have been an ex racer if it had a band on. Strange that it was as tight as it was.
that’s the one good thing about the pigeon though. They are as tough as old boots and can adapt so easily. Next time your in a city, take a look at the pigeons toes scuffling across the pavements. They are a hardy breed and one to be admired.
They also helped win the war!!
She didn’t have a band. Unfortunately, I have seen other lost banded pigeons around.
It is truly amazing how adaptable pigeons are! I’ve seen many with missing toes getting along fine. I don’t know if Rubber Band could manage without a foot, though, since I have yet to see any with similar injuries.

She didn’t have a band. Unfortunately, I have seen other lost banded pigeons around.
It is truly amazing how adaptable pigeons are! I’ve seen many with missing toes getting along fine. I don’t know if Rubber Band could manage without a foot, though, since I have yet to see any with similar injuries.
I’ve seen pigeons with a stumpy leg/no foot and they manage just fine. Good luck and I’d love to see the updates on this thread. Any chance of a full photo of the pigeon?

I’ve seen pigeons with a stumpy leg/no foot and they manage just fine. Good luck and I’d love to see the updates on this thread. Any chance of a full photo of the pigeon?
I have too, just not locally so far.
Of course!
06EAED24-9FAC-43A8-9946-53FC3E1642CC.jpeg
Here she is looking very alert.

Back
Top Bottom