Rude Teenage DS

FYI a small screw driver is all you need to remove a bedroom door (unscrew the hinges)

It does get better, especially if their GF is around, cause a rude guy is the last thing they want to show a girl.

<~~Mom of 3 boys who have survived to see 18 (and I have the gray hairs to prove it)
Exactly. Around here the bedroom door came off, the cell phone became a useless brick and the internet went bye-bye for a whole year. I now have a human being that I am proud of living in the house. Oh, and for a whole semester I went to class with him. VERY popular, I can assure you! ;)

Exactly. Around here the bedroom door came off, the cell phone became a useless brick and the internet went bye-bye for a whole year. I now have a human being that I am proud of living in the house. Oh, and for a whole semester I went to class with him. VERY popular, I can assure you!
wink.png

See I think that's the best disciplinary move ever... one of my friends did this with her out of control son... she'd see him to the bus, he'd get to the schoolyard then ditch. or get to his first class then ditch. and he was intercepting the notes home and the phone messages.

when she found out, she basically said if he couldn't be trusted to supervise himself, then she'd have to supervise him. drove him to school, went to *every* class with him, made sure to verify the teacher's home work instructions out loud in every class, drove him home. by day three he was pleading for mercy and promissing the moon...

they had other trouble later, but *no* more skipping class, ever.

your kid's tough if it took a semester!

I don't think I mentioned 'reasoning with a 2 year old having a temper tantrum', of course you can't reason with them, since they are below the age of reasoning. What you do is this:

First of all decide on the reason for the tantrum, do they for example need something, are they hungry/thirsty? Might seem obvious, but I have lost count of the times I have seen a screaming toddler, obviously tired out, being dragged around the shops. Or, just as bad, made to sit in a stroller for hours on end, while mum browses round the shops.

Small children get frustrated by their inability to do all the things they want to do. Put away games and tasks that are far to hard for them.

Ensure they get sufficient out door exercise, and this has to be activity. It isn't enough just to shove them out in the garden and hope they will exercise and amuse themselves. Half an hour of chasing a ball thrown for them or supervised play on slides/swings etc is what is needed.

Regular mealtimes and regular bedtimes are essential, as small children readily get over tired and grumpy.

Be consistent with rules and boundaries but this does not involve physical punishment. I have found the best deterrent to bad behaviour is to immediately cut short the activity. If for example they run off when you are out, you scoop them up and bring them home. Inconvenient, I know, but you don't have to do it many times for them to get the message. You can reinforce this later by saying, if you run off you will have to wear baby reins, and people will not know you are a big boy/girl!

If older children are arguing over a toy, take it away. Say, 'You can have the toy back when you learn to share, and take turns using it. Works every time in my experiece.

Always make the punishment fit the crime otherwise children learn nothing from your discipline.

Incidently, apart from raising my own children, I have worked for over twenty years, with disabled, autistic and many children with challenging behaviour.

Exactly. Around here the bedroom door came off, the cell phone became a useless brick and the internet went bye-bye for a whole year. I now have a human being that I am proud of living in the house. Oh, and for a whole semester I went to class with him. VERY popular, I can assure you!
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom