Ruined Duck's Nest?

Donna Kostanek

Hatching
Mar 21, 2021
Help, I think I ruined a duck's nest. My yard backs up to a lake and golf course so I frequently get a lot of waterfowl. But they never stay because I let my dogs out a few times a day. While Spring cleaning and raking leaves I moved a metal lounge chair and raked back leaves to find a nest of ducks eggs. I quickly covered it backup and put a small metal table over it - just in case. I don't know if she came back at night but I saw her this morning looking for the nest. I don't know how long she was there before I saw her and I don't know if she found it, it looks like she did, she stayed at the nest and all around the area but left. I quickly exchange the small table for the lounge chair that was there. I haven't seen her all day, but then I don't see any water fowl out right now. How long can she be off the nest at night, during the day before the nest is ruined? I let my dogs out this morning on a leash on the other side of the yard so they'd stay away from the nest on that side of the yard. Did I ruin the next? Is there anything I can do to draw her back? I'll do whatever I can to keep my dogs away from there.

How many eggs were in the nest? When a duck or chicken nests it will lay a egg a day and leave, when its determined it has the clutch it wants it starts setting. She may be just starting. Also ducks make dump nests where one will lay and others will lay in it to, they're also notorious for covering their nests from predators. If she was setting and trying to hatch you would have ran her off the nest.

I didn't count because I covered it up too quickly. I would guess there were at least 5 to 6 eggs? I saw a female duck in that area a few days ago, and it was the same type of female duck that came back this morning looking specifically in that area. I don't know how long the nest was there. I don't know if she came back last night. I didn't see ducks in the yard yesterday while I was out raking and cleaning so I don't think I ran her off then. When I let my dogs out at night they run around the yard but generally stay on that side of the yard because there is a brighter spotlight near there. I can keep them on the other side of the yard for a few days but it's not that easy.

All you can do is keep an eye on it. If you didn't know the nest was there she's been coming whether your dogs are out or not. So she knows those dogs are there and either doesn't mind them or they haven't found her hiding spot yet. She may be coming early in the morning and laying and leaving also. My ducks always laid in the morning hours before sun up 3am to 6ish. I dunno why they did that and I dunno if all ducks do that but they would all be layed really early and nest covered before daylight.

All you can do is keep an eye on it. If you didn't know the nest was there she's been coming whether your dogs are out or not. So she knows those dogs are there and either doesn't mind them or they haven't found her hiding spot yet. She may be coming early in the morning and laying and leaving also. My ducks always laid in the morning hours before sun up 3am to 6ish. I dunno why they did that and I dunno if all ducks do that but they would all be layed really early and nest covered before daylight.

I didn't know she comes and goes that early in the morning. That gives me hope. Is she there at night around 11 to 12 when I let them out? I'll try to keep them away from that area. I did this with turtle eggs a few years ago.

I didn't know she comes and goes that early in the morning. This gives me hope. Is she out there at night when I let the dogs out around 11 or 12 o'clock? I'll try to keep the dogs away from that area. I did this a few years ago with turtle eggs.

Back
Top Bottom