Run door

My run door technically can swing out or in (chain link fence with gate) however after adding hardware cloth around the openings, they only swing inward now. My reasoning originally was I wanted the door to push chickens out of the way instead of having them all spilling out of the run when I enter.

In the end it actually doesn't matter, the second I walk in all the chickens turn and follow me in anyhow, so there's no escapees.

My doors swing outward. My run door doesn't go all the way to the ground, there's a 4" lip that I step over. That was on purpose so that I don't have to worry as much about the snow. I have a raised coop so one entire wall swings out so I can get in there and clean, if it opened in I'd definitely squish some girls.
The door to my 50' x30' fenced area also swings out, but the girls don't use that area in the winter to the door stays open until the snow melts. Fingers crossed that happens in the next week or two!

My door to the coop is an old horse stall door that slides, but my outdoor people door to the run swings out. there is a board across the opening to hold in the scratchings. As it is, the junk they scratch around the ground fills the space between the door and the board causing the door to bow outward a little and get hard to unlatch.

Back
Top Bottom