Run to Outdoor Brooder Conversion -- Rush Job

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
As noted on other threads, my New Arrivals came with a coop of their own but I put together other Temporary Accommodations, leaving the 4x8 "coop" to convert to a walk-in brooder for the chicks I'm expecting next Friday. The friend who gave it to me said it had been the run they used on their original coop before they built the huge fenced enclosure and they'd used it as an auxiliary coop since then.

After pulling off some beat up tarps and plastic I took off the metal side panels and removed the roost structure that was perfectly fine for what it was but which would be in my way using it as a brooder. That leaves me with a roofed box, 50" wide, 51" tall, and 8 feet long that is covered in chicken wire.

0513211632_HDR.jpg

One end has an odd window in it:

0513211633.jpg

The other end has a door.

0513211633a.jpg

Poking around in our scrap, I found a 20-foot piece of 48" hardware cloth -- which will wrap the two long sides and the window end -- but which isn't *quite* tall enough to go all the way from top to bottom. I also have plenty of 12 or 14" scrap pieces of hardware cloth that will serve as at least a minimal anti-dig apron and which will cover the two sides next to the door.

The problem here being the door itself (which also needs a more secure latch.

Before I found the big piece of hardware cloth (I knew I had the 12" pieces), I was thinking of covering the sides with this salvaged metal roofing that isn't sturdy enough to be an actual roof.

0513211656.jpg

I don't know if covering the door with that stuff is a good idea or not. I don't know if there is a means of seaming the narrow pieces of hardware cloth safely without having to invest in those special clips for making cages and the tool to fasten them.

We have a moderate amount of scrap metal siding, some of which is, at 6" wide, about the right size to fill the gap between the size of the structure and the height of the wire -- a solid bottom would be handy to keep bedding in anyway. I have no clue how to fasten wire to metal siding.

0513211658.jpg
0513211659_HDR.jpg

I would also like to put a pop door on the window end so I could let the little ones into a larger run as they grow and/or use for other purposes in conjunction with my electric net later on but I don't know how to rig that on such a lightly-build structure (all 2x2's). I can add that later if I have to.

Once all the wire is attached we'll cover most of it with tarps temporarily in order to use it as a brooder.

DH can't give me much help with this because he's working hard on the new coop so I have to keep it very simple. :)

PS -- Just before I hit "Post Thread" I thought that I might improve my comfort level in there by setting it up on a couple layers of concrete blocks. I am pretty sure we've got enough to go around once. Even those few inches will improve things and they'd nicely weigh down the inner edge of the anti-dig apron.

All feedback and ideas welcome!

OK, DH has nixed the use of the blocks because he needs them to add more piers under our larger shed.

But overnight I solved the biggest problem -- I will put the hardware cloth on from the top down then cover the gap at the bottom with the 6" tall metal siding.

And DH suggested adding a 2x2 vertically to the center of the door to give me a surface to staple the narrow piece of hardware cloth to so that's covered.

OK, nix on the hammered staples. All I can manage is to bend them. Plan B is screws and fender washers. I'll have to draft the 15yo to help me wrestle wire tomorrow afternoon when I'm home from work and then finish Monday after DS#1 returns the metal shears.

I intend to leave a 6-8" vent all around the top when I wrap it in the tarp and am now struggling with how to cover it against rain. In a different situation I would have just asked DH to pick me up a sheet of thin plywood when he was at Lowes last night and make top-hinged covers to prop open.

We have access to scrap vinyl siding if we can figure out how to mount it and, possibly, roof flashing. I could also use strips of tarp if I could figure out how to mount those because there were only two sizes of tarp available -- much too large and a bit too small so DH wisely bought the one that was much too large.

Any idea on how to mount said scrap vinyl siding at a roughly 45-degree angle to a piece of 2x2?

Or the strips of tarp?

I am trying not to add too much weight to this structure both because I am thinking of using it as a tractor afterward and because I am concerned that the 2x2 structure won't take too much (it seems to me to be as well built as something made from 2x2's could be, but I'm accustomed to the family habit of over-engineering everything. 🤣 )

The 15yo and I wrapped 3 sides in hardware cloth this afternoon after I got home from work. Hard enough work that it justifies canned chili for dinner.

I couldn't do more because our oldest son has the metal shears and the good wire cutters and because I'm almost out of fender washers.

0515211639.jpg

0515211641a.jpg

This gap at the bottom due to the structure being 4'3" and the hardware cloth being 4' even will be covered with scraps of metal siding (again, after the metal shears come home):
0515211641b.jpg

We need to install a vertical support in the center of this end so I will have something to screw both the hardware cloth and the metal to.
0515211639a.jpg

The only thing I can think of that seems really likely to work as an awning for the vents is roof flashing, bent to shape. It will be floppy, but I can't think of any means of supporting the scrap vinyl siding or tarp awnings when there is so little structure to fasten anything to.

And staring at it some more has me convinced that the end that needs a vertical support to attach wire and metal to is the only place a pop door can go.

Put in 2 verticals an appropriate distance apart, make the structure to slide it in, and cut out the wire. I'll have to leave the metal off that area, but the door itself will serve the purpose of safe closure.

I probably have a scrap of exterior plywood DH will let me have to make the door.

All the hardware cloth is on. Also the new latches. Of all the weird things, I couldn't find any ordinary carabiners at Lowes, only the fancy ones with 4 keyrings attached. Crazy, right? There's a pack of multiple sizes, only the middle size being useful to me, but no normal ones to buy individually.

We're going to have to order carabiners on Amazon and I'll have to scare up some of our collection of extra padlocks until we do (a padlock is too much trouble for long-term use),

I'm scarfing down some dinner than going back out to try my hand at cutting metal siding.

DH helped me with the metal around the bottom since it was so awkward. We haven't figured out the pop door and will have to add it later.

Tomorrow it gets tarped except for the top 6-8" and then an awning made from more scrap metal siding.

0517211951.jpg

I had to seam the hardware cloth on the door since a lot of it was 12" scrap:
0517211810.jpg

0517211815.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put some holes into the metal here and do some more stitching. The hardware cloth was warped and couldn't be pulled tight in this spot.
0517211951b.jpg

I have most of the anti-dig skirt cut. I won't fasten it, just tuck it under the edge, since this is a temporary setup.

Back
Top Bottom