Runner can't lay egg or is a rubber egg!

Pics

Phillisdiller

Chirping
Jun 15, 2018
Mt Hood Oregon
Hello :) I have 2 Indian runners. Phillis Diller and CarolAnne. CarolAnne in her first year gave me one egg a day. In her second year they became like rubber and that seemed to be the norm. I offered grit, crushed egg and just about anything that had calcium (except spinach) but she wouldn't eat shells or grit. 5 months ago she went through a period where she tried very hard to lay an egg but to no avail. It was hard to watch her suffer. She stands or lays without taking any food only water. In the past 2 weeks she has laid only 2 rubber eggs and as I write this she is trying once again. Each day she goes through this! She gets into the pool which is pretty cold water and there she stays. Each day it takes about 6 hours for her to be her self again, but no egg! I can't touch her because she will be terrorized and would probably die from fright! I feel helpless! I've called around to different vets in the area, and they only do large farm animals. I am at lost how to help my little friend :( Anyone have a suggestion or could tell me why this is happening to her? Thank you in advance!!

When I get back today I will do more research.
A warm bath may help, along with calcium gluconate (I think thats right, but @Miss Lydia will know)
A warm bath and calcium gluconate or calcium citrate is how I would treat mine. The calcium should be given orally at about 50 mg per pound of body weight.

Just to show you can pick up a Runner with out scaring them to death. This was the first time I actually picked up my silver Runner Pearl she had bumble foot and had to be treated this past summer she survived and was such a good girl. Did she want to be picked up and held Nope but once I did she settled down.
339C4381-CD0B-4C21-86BD-A34A4D3863C3.jpeg

Yes calcium gluconate if she is only drinking water try a small bowl of tepid water with the cal glu in it. If she likes thawed peas you can offer it over a small amount and get it into her that way. My lil Runner was off one day and I became worried since she was standing off by herself which if anyone has Runners knows they like to do all things together. It took her half a day to lay that rubber egg afterwards she was back to her old self and hasn’t laid one since. I can sure understand your stress though. You say you offer crushed egg shells and grit what about oyster shell? That is where they get their needed calcium when laying but even then sometimes they need extra. What are you feeding them? I know the feeling of helplessness when there isn’t a vet to look at our birds but we have to do the best we can and sometimes that is enough so get to TSC and get the calcium gluconate and start there. Hopefully that will help get those eggs back with hard shells so she can lay normal. Always a chance something else is going on too but to be having this problem this long makes me wonder about infection I don’t think she’d still be with you. Don’t worry about her dying of fright if you pick her up mine don’t like it either but once I pick them up they are docile. Place her in a tub of nice warm water let her float around in it warmth makes for relaxation cold causes us to stiffen up our muscles, we want her relaxed. I walk my Runner into their house and pick them up once in there it is still stressful for them but easier for both of us.

Just to show you can pick up a Runner with out scaring them to death. This was the first time I actually picked up my silver Runner Pearl she had bumble foot and had to be treated this past summer she survived and was such a good girl. Did she want to be picked up and held Nope but once I did she settled down.View attachment 1594242
Great news!! I gave CarolAnne some calcium citrate and yesterday she laid an egg that was hard! Not completely hard as it should be, but hard all the same!! :) :) I'm thinking by today it will be even harder! What a wonderful Thanksgiving this is! I want to thank you all for helping me and giving me advice. This has been so stressful and I am relieved that things are going in the right direction :) Thank you all once again!! @casportpony @007Sean @Col1948 @CayugaJana @happy duck @Miss Lydia

Last edited:
If she is laying shell-less eggs everytime, it could be a reproductive system defect.
As @Cayuga momma has said, stress, illness, can also cause shell-less eggs.
Calcium gluconate and Calcium citrate can be added to either her feed or water and is absorbed better than oyster shell grit.

Glad to see your not feeding spinach or kale as these and a few other greens such as chard, beets greens and Brussel sprouts can inhibit calcium uptake due to the oxalic acid they contain, which inhibits the absorption of calcium.

A deficiency in Vitamin D can also result in shell-less eggs.
If it is EDS there is nothing that can be done, there is no treatment.
Sorry your having to go through this, it's very frustrating and nerve wracking. Hope it's just a calcium issue and she comes around.

Peas are fine and depends on how much corn small amount wouldn’t hurt as long as it isn’t interfering with her eating the layer the most. Or maybe for a while don’t offer corn until the egg laying gets resolved. A lot of folks freak out about feeding corn but I say moderation is fine mine get it in fall and winter mixed in with their 6 way scratch. But maybe hold off on the corn for now . Main thing is getting the calcium gluconate or citrate into her. How does she look over all does she have strong legs no shaking wobbly when walking or standing ? Feathers in good shape?
She looks great! Though she was a chocolate color when I got her and now she has a white head and speckled white body! When she is not trying to lay an egg, she acts completely normal. She is active and alert. It's just when she tries to lay an egg is when she won't move much or eat.

Just to show you can pick up a Runner with out scaring them to death. This was the first time I actually picked up my silver Runner Pearl she had bumble foot and had to be treated this past summer she survived and was such a good girl. Did she want to be picked up and held Nope but once I did she settled down.View attachment 1594242
Oooooh, how sweet girl <3 If I could only film what I would look like catching my birds, the laughter would be heard around the world! LOL Lovely friend you have :)

Back
Top Bottom