Runner duck choking!!!!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I have a runner duck. Approximately 3 months old who chokes a lot. Like lump in throat foams at the mouth almost every night. He usually seems to get it all out himself but tonight I had to help him. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?! He eats with the rest of his flock. They eat flock raiser and there’s plenty of water available. None of the others seem to have this problem but him!

Do you provide feed free choice ?
Unfortunately not right now. We have a pot belly pig who would eat every single bowl if we did. I’m trying to figure out a system to keep the pig out so they can eat whenever. But I take food out every morning noon and evening. It’s only in the evening I notice him choking

I believe that is the main cause of your problem. I've seen it several times, and what seems to happen is the owner restricts the ducks feed to only twice or three times a day, and when the ducks are offered the food they inadvertently scrounge it down to fast, and sometimes they can almost choke on the pellets.

A pig really shouldn't be housed with birds in the first place.

IME, they're also less likely to "choke" on pellets compared to crumbles too.

I believe that is the main cause of your problem. I've seen it several times, and what seems to happen is the owner restricts the ducks feed to only twice or three times a day, and when the ducks are offered the food they inadvertently scrounge it down to fast, and sometimes they can almost choke on the pellets.

A pig really shouldn't be housed with birds in the first place.
They aren’t housed together. They all free range in our 2 acre yard all day. The pig has her hut and the ducks have theirs at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom