*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Say what?
1f602.png
If you really need to know, its 999,000,000.

I have Indian Runners. They have wet scraggly looking feathers. Have lost two in two weeks. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

@sheltieherding can you post some pics? sounds like a nutrient deficiency, or wet feather, can you give more details like how old what you feed shelter etc. Thanks and Welcome to BYC and sorry for your losses. Oh and what are you keeping them on any chance of botulism? [something they may have gotten into and ate or drank? ]

We did a meet and greet without the gate today!!! There was a little bit of chest bumping, posturing/charging, and that head-over-shoulder business they do, but no pecking.
[Video]

Banshee warmed up to them pretty quickly, after a little bit of herding them around.

Azula (the black drake) and Wednesday (blue hen; she either is or really wants to be Azula's main squeeze) did most of the dominance behavior that happened today. I like this picture because Impa and Ezri are zipping all over the place like silly little emus!

I remain cautiously optimistic that this will work out! I'm still not going to leave them together unsupervised yet, but I think it'll work out okay when I do.

I have 11 training runner ducks currently although two of the drakes are for sale (I currently have 5 drakes- ouch!). I had Cayugas from Metzer farms but they became quite aggressive and extremely loud at a young age (quiet and docile? ha!). The runners are quieter and although they are not very people friendly they are not aggressive either. The ducks came to me from a couple different locations at about 3-4 mo. of age and are about 6-7 mo. old now.
I love the runners! Very athletic, move easily off the dog during herding lessons, good foraging ability, fun to watch, and extremely entertaining. I have no eggs yet however it's December so I may have to wait a few more months. I raised/bred ducks/geese/chickens as a child but have been duck free for 15 yrs. I'm so glad to have ducks again!

I have 11 training runner ducks currently although two of the drakes are for sale (I currently have 5 drakes- ouch!). I had Cayugas from Metzer farms but they became quite aggressive and extremely loud at a young age (quiet and docile? ha!). The runners are quieter and although they are not very people friendly they are not aggressive either. The ducks came to me from a couple different locations at about 3-4 mo. of age and are about 6-7 mo. old now.
I love the runners! Very athletic, move easily off the dog during herding lessons, good foraging ability, fun to watch, and extremely entertaining. I have no eggs yet however it's December so I may have to wait a few more months. I raised/bred ducks/geese/chickens as a child but have been duck free for 15 yrs. I'm so glad to have ducks again!
Welcome to BYC @Gone-Quackers

I've met other peoples Cayugas and they were very sweet. I do suspect that since my Cayugas came from a large breeding facility there were not necessarily bred to standard. It's hard to breed a duck to be docile, quiet, and friendly when you have 1000+ plus of them. How would you know which ducks meet standard behaviorally?
hmm.png
I've learned my lesson there, I will only get ducks from small breeders who know their ducks. My runners aren't show quality as their markings aren't perfect however they are athletic with lovely temperaments. I got them all locally from people who knew what they had. Funnily enough I wasn't picky on colors so ended up with fawn/whites, blues, chocolates, lavenders, mallard, and an apricot/white one too.

Last edited:
I've met other peoples Cayugas and they were very sweet. I do suspect that since my Cayugas came from a large breeding facility there were not necessarily bred to standard. It's hard to breed a duck to be docile, quiet, and friendly when you have 1000+ plus of them. How would you know which ducks meet standard behaviorally?
hmm.png
I've learned my lesson there, I will only get ducks from small breeders who know their ducks. My runners aren't show quality as their markings aren't perfect however they are athletic with lovely temperaments. I got them all locally from people who knew what they had. Funnily enough I wasn't picky on colors so ended up with fawn/whites, blues, chocolates, lavenders, mallard, and an apricot/white one too.
You know your going to have to post pics now don't you?
wink.png
what a nice assortment of colors

Back
Top Bottom