*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I have had mine for two years and never had to clip wings. Once or twice my fawn and whites got over the fence but that was because they were on the down hill run and we're spooked. Caught enough altitude to verily make it over. Normally they can't get very high.

Runners are addictive... I hope you weren't expecting them to "normal up" once they grow up and be like your other ducks... The will still be runners which means their spring is wound just a little tighter
wink.png
I don't know that I would consider any of our ducks as normal lol! We have Louie the duck who doesn't know how to duck, Pogo the "judge", Little duck the dancing fool, and then Oakley the drama queen. But these baby runner, they are the comedians of the bunch. Silly little turkeys! They woke me up at 3 a.m. today doing the mom call insisting it was time for love

In other words they need a job, got any rice paddies?They can work over?
Well no rice paddies I'm afraid (but how cool would that be!?) but we have a mini orchard for them to maintain and two huge gardens :) They will be busy ducks when they grow up. I love watching the ducks pick through the mulch around the fruit trees.

I don't know that I would consider any of our ducks as normal lol! We have Louie the duck who doesn't know how to duck, Pogo the "judge", Little duck the dancing fool, and then Oakley the drama queen. But these baby runner, they are the comedians of the bunch. Silly little turkeys! They woke me up at 3 a.m. today doing the mom call insisting it was time for love

Well no rice paddies I'm afraid (but how cool would that be!?) but we have a mini orchard for them to maintain and two huge gardens :) They will be busy ducks when they grow up. I love watching the ducks pick through the mulch around the fruit trees.
I am hoping to have some soon!! They sound adorable.
love.gif

Does anyone have experience with eye worm. Is this what my poor runner has?

I cannot say for certain - it could be a parasite. Or it could be an infected nictitating membrane.

In either case, this is serious and needs to be treated.

Do you have a vet? Because I suspect this will not need a duck expert to diagnose and treat. It would be helpful if you can find a vet somewhat familiar with poultry of some sort, but this is clearly an urgent situation.

So, does the duck regularly wash his or her head in water? As in, several times a day?

Things you can do (this does not replace a vet visit) include rinsing the eye several times a day with a mild saline solution, or getting Vetericyn eye gel and using that two or three times a day. If it is a parasite, you'll need more than an antimicrobial to get rid of it, I would think (I am not a vet). But the eye or membrane are definitely inflamed (I am stating the obvious, I know).

You can also be sure the duck is in as low-stress an environment as possible. Separated from rowdy flock members, poultry vitamins twice a week in the water, some high-quality treats, like a tablespoon of cat kibble, or some meal worms, some sprouted wheat seeds, a tablespoon of peas.

Last edited:

My fawn and white Indian runner.
Does anyone clip their runners wings? I am hoping it's not necessary.
First off, she is beautiful. I don't clip their wings, but runners definitely can fly (I doubt they could migrate - but they can clear most obstacles.) I know my F&W could clear my fence, but she hasn't. @NathanZee has some very competent flying runners. So as far as clipping their wings, it is kind of like the free ranging question. What is everything else like and how much risk are you willing to take with your ducks. For me, Entie is very flock oriented and the ONLY way I could see her flying out over the fence is if a predator got in and was about to catch her and I am not sure I would want to prevent her from flying then, although being outside the fence would present its own hazards. Mostly she stays within a foot or two of the ground and just flies over the rest of the flock to be first in line for treats.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom