Graceeelizabeth5

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
So we just hatched 3 runner ducklings. One is super healthy, another has wry neck. And the other WAS healthy and then out of no where today lost ALL function of her body except for her head. They've been given niacin, probiotics, and electrolytes since hatch. The "bentneckducky" runs around, eats, and drinks like a normal healthy duckling, it's just her neck is, well bent. The duckling that just stopped moving today was running around, eating, and drinking just fine. Shes a little smaller than the others so I knew their might be some issue but she was still acting like a normal baby. Until just now when I went out to check on them and she couldn't move. She wont eat, nor drink when I bend her over to get some. Idk what to do, or how this could happen other than botulism? Please give me advice! Thanks!
The first is Ethel who just stopped moving today, the second pic is of my bent neck ducky although it's gotten a lot better since that pic.

Attachments

• 20191123_162350.jpg
    20191123_162350.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20191117_211216.jpg
    20191117_211216.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 13
So we just hatched 3 runner ducklings. One is super healthy, another has wry neck. And the other WAS healthy and then out of no where today lost ALL function of her body except for her head. They've been given niacin, probiotics, and electrolytes since hatch. The "bentneckducky" runs around, eats, and drinks like a normal healthy duckling, it's just her neck is, well bent. The duckling that just stopped moving today was running around, eating, and drinking just fine. Shes a little smaller than the others so I knew their might be some issue but she was still acting like a normal baby. Until just now when I went out to check on them and she couldn't move. She wont eat, nor drink when I bend her over to get some. Idk what to do, or how this could happen other than botulism? Please give me advice! Thanks!
The first is Ethel who just stopped moving today, the second pic is of my bent neck ducky although it's gotten a lot better since that pic.
I had a duckling with wry neck, unfortanelty he didn't make it. But what I would do is get this stuff from tractor supply called nutri drench and put a small amount in the water for the ducklings. I would also separate them so they don't trample the duckling with wry neck.

Attachments

• 15745519357392096297654.jpg
    15745519357392096297654.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 11
Is your duckling that can’t move pooping? I’ve never seen this in a duckling did you help this one hatch? Did the eggs come from your ducks? Let’s see if @WVduckchick is on she hatches a lot of ducklings maybe she’s seen this. Don’t leave the duckling on it’s back makes it hard for them to breath. There is failure to thrive this maybe what your seeing in this one duckling.

Well the duckling that was moving didnt even make it a couple more hours the one with the bent neck is doing great, her neck is starting to elongate but it's still cocked to the side. But shes running around, eating, drinking and acting like a normal duckling. Whenever she hears my voice she leans up and wants to be held! I saw some pics of some ducklings with like a neck brace type contraption and I wonder if I can figure something like that out? But like I said shes acting perfectly healthy!

And no I didnt help the one that passed hatch. I had to assist the bent neck duck because she was hatching opposite way and got stuck. She was in there for over 48 hours before I assisted.

Back
Top Bottom