Runny yellow poop

DrChris502

Hatching
Apr 13, 2020
I have 25 Rhode Island Red Chicks that are a week old today. One has been pasting up regularly and we have been cleaning it off a couple times a day. The issue is that she looks clear today, but noticed yellowish runny poop on her fluff. Is this an indication of a health issue or anything else of concern? Anything that can be done? Should I try to keep her separated from the rest of the flock?

Thanks!

She probably has pasty butt which happens to chicks who are stressed during shipping. I don't think you have to separate her. Just check the chick and all the other chicks every day and make sure you clean any poo off with warm water and a soft cloth, be gentle or you could tear the skin. If the poo dries and blocks the vent they will not be able to go poo and will die. I had 5 chicks out of an order of 40 who had pasty butt. It took about 2 weeks to clear up. Also make sure you feed medicated chick feed just don't feed medicated feed to adult chickens. You could also try some probiotics in their drinking water.
When one of mine had pasty butt I would clean her, then treat the vent with a little coconut oil on a qtip. Just thought it would be soothing for her . Seemed to work for me :)

She probably has pasty butt which happens to chicks who are stressed during shipping. I don't think you have to separate her. Just check the chick and all the other chicks every day and make sure you clean any poo off with warm water and a soft cloth, be gentle or you could tear the skin. If the poo dries and blocks the vent they will not be able to go poo and will die. I had 5 chicks out of an order of 40 who had pasty butt. It took about 2 weeks to clear up. Also make sure you feed medicated chick feed just don't feed medicated feed to adult chickens. You could also try some probiotics in their drinking water.

Yes, she was pasting up and I was cleaning with warm water. I also have a probiotic additive in their water and medicated chick grower feed.
My concern was the runny yellow poop that was strange as none of the other chicks have that. I didn't know if it was something to worry about or normal after her vent was pasting up?

When one of mine had pasty butt I would clean her, then treat the vent with a little coconut oil on a qtip. Just thought it would be soothing for her . Seemed to work for me :)
Yes, she was pasting up and I was cleaning with warm water. I also have a probiotic additive in their water and medicated chick grower feed.
My concern was the runny yellow poop that was strange as none of the other chicks have that. I didn't know if it was something to worry about or normal after her vent was pasting up?
I will try putting some coconut oil on their butts to help with any irritation. Thanks!

If she other wise seams healthy, acti
If the chick other wise seems healthy is eating well and acting normal I would not worry too much. my adult chickens will get yellow runny poop some times. Usually because they eat fruit or drink more water when it's hot, if there is a little blood in your chicks stool could be coccidiosis.

If she other wise seams healthy, acti

If the chick other wise seems healthy is eating well and acting normal I would not worry too much. my adult chickens will get yellow runny poop some times. Usually because they eat fruit or drink more water when it's hot, if there is a little blood in your chicks stool could be coccidiosis.
i will watch for blood in poop. i did notice she was eating while watching them yesterday, but will have to keep a closer eye on her to if she is drinking water. what would it mean for the chick if it is coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom