*sad* just lost my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Jun 21, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I went to lock and secure the coop up, and found my leghorn all white chicken, dead on the ground. after examing her body, we saw no predator marks, nothing got into the coop nor did we see blood. like she just died. her eyes were closed too. her position of her body, was slumped over. any ideas. she was a hardy chicken, great egg layer, and was free ranging most of today, as a matter of fact. all of today.
    i check on the chickens, numerous times and she was fine. i saw the rooster mate with her today. checked near her vent and saw nothing. i am so sad, puzzled to say the least. [​IMG] she was about a year and 6months old

here she is.. she is also my avatar.

[​IMG]
    and no that is not her laying egg. someone elses.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry............. sometimes chickens just die. No symptoms, no clues, no nothing. Could be heart failure, could be an internal issue, could be many things. I wish i had an answer [​IMG]

3. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I am so sorry [​IMG]. She was a beautiful girl.
    It's so hot here in Northern California I'm afraid my 7 week old chicks are going to have heat stroke. Could the weather have played a factor in her death?

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    its still shocking, the weather was warm today, but our evenings are cool. she was free ranging. fine all day.

5. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    i am sooooo sorry to hear that [​IMG] she was a beautiful bird and she sounded like a very nice chicken .[​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I am sorry too! [​IMG] I lost one of my original hens today but she was showing symptoms of illness and was put down. I am sending my bird to Cornell University to try and find out why she was sick but it's hard. I may not ever find an answer.

8. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry hear about your loss. Like chickenzoo stated it just happens sometimes with no explaination. I have a friend that the same thing happened to early this spring. No signs, symptoms, or clues. [​IMG]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    if i had answers, perhaps that would make me feel better. not knowing is the hard part. i need a beer now.

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    hi again annie, the first hen i ever lost showed no symptoms, she just was dead on the floor when I opened the coop one morning. I had to find out what was wrong and had an necropsy done. Turns out she had a tumor on her liver that burst.

One more thing, what the (beep) caused the tumor, I still don't know. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by