Sad looking little TSC chicks need your help!

Quote:
FOR FREE!?!?! Jeez, imagine a store putting the birds welfare ahead of making money. This lady wouldnt even give me a discount on them. I told her, "these two look like they are dying. Can I just take them since I am getting some other ones too?" And she said that she couldnt give them to me because she gets credit for them if they die in the store. So I asked her if she would do a discount, or even just say that they died and I would take them and try to get them better. But she refused. She was pretty disgusting about the whole situation and had an attitude. The guy who has been there before when I got chicks is kind and knowledgeable, but she was bad. I know that they have to make money and run their business, but its sad that a whole $3.00 credit is more important than a living thing. So I bought all 11 of the bantams that were left, rather than leave them there with her. LOL. Its silly, I know, but it made me feel better.

If I was you I would call the complaint line and complain against the store. I work at a TSC and am one of the managers. Yes if one does die, we write if off and get credit for it. We also have our chick ICU in my managers office. But in the weekly notes it says if there is a chick that is sick or weak we can give it away to a chicken customer and just write it off as if it had died in store. This way the chick can have a chance and TSC does not lose anything.

Here is what I would do if they are acting that weak. If you hold them up to your ear can you hear any kind of cracking or popping noise? Make sure the sound you are hearing is not their beaks opening and closing but actually a popping or cracking noise if you hear something. IF you do, I would go get a broad spectrum antibiotic and add it to their water along with the vitamin and electrolytes. Are you using the chick saver? My last two babies had pretty severe respiratory infections and I started antibiotics almost immediately with them. They are both doing great now and I just ended the antibiotic treatment today.

Quote:
The one that sounds like he is choking may be doing what is called "starve out". Sometimes chicks just don't drink or eat well comming off the "yoke" so to speak and they just starve themselves. The best thing is to use sugar water with vitamins and electrolyts and keep dipping his beak in the water every so often. We had a little bantam from TSC do the same thing but he was not as bad off as yours look. He ate ok but after he ate he'd toss is head and choke or gape. We kept dipping his beak in the water and finally he started to drink on his own. When he did, he drank for 2 mins straight. He then ate again, drank some more then slept-alot but he pulled through.

I think that what you did was very kind. I hope that you can get him to pull through. Best luck with them!

Sadness. I lost the brown one.
sad.png
He was cold and stiff so he had been gone a while before we got back. And one of the 8 that I was not expecting to lose just died. Horrifyingly. He was spasming and foaming at the beak when we got home about 5 minutes ago and died shortly after. Im glad he died on his own because I was afraid I was going to have to put him out of his misery. If I lose the little white one it is really going to make me sad. I have had chickens my whole life, and it is always sad when I lose one, especially with special cases like this. I wouldn't be surprised if I lose a few more. They all look so frail compared to the ones I got from the other TSC a couple weeks ago. They come from different hatcheries too, I wonder if that has something to do with it. Please pray for the little ones.

Edited to include that I listened to them and they do not rattle or click. The little white one is so strong and loud. I just gave her a bath because sugar water+ clumsy chick= chick with fluff that's hard as a rock. If it weren't for her eyes being half closed (one more so than the other) and her clumsiness, she would seem fine. She is eating and attacking the food so well. They have been drinking. The little sleeper one has been drinking when I dunk his beak now and is moving and opening his eyes. He peeped loudly when I picked him up, which he did not do before. I still have hope. Babies should not be able to die. No matter the species.

Last edited:
Given the attitude of the ...ahem... woman clerk, I would suspect their handling upon arrival at the store as the problem. It that's her attitude, I doubt she could be bothered to show them how to drink, much less check the brooder temps regularly, etc. I'd get my chance to speak to the man you mentioned and unload an earful about her! Some people are just a waste of air.

Quote:
yeah, maybe talk to the nice man for a while about the crappy service and try to get that dreadful woman fired. you should only work at a chicken store if you like chickens and at least want to give them a chance at survival.

i know this might sound crazy but if i couldn't think of any thing else to do and they werent doing good i would see what a vet had to say. i hope they r gonna be ok.
fl.gif

#1animallover :

i know this might sound crazy but if i couldn't think of any thing else to do and they werent doing good i would see what a vet had to say. i hope they r gonna be ok.
fl.gif

We dont have any vets that do chickens around here. Probably closest one is about 4 hours away in Springfield.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom