I was shocked by how fast ducklings grow. My neighbor got baby chicks and ducklings 10 days ago. And the ducklings are 5 times the size of the chicks already.

On the safety issue. I used a heat lamp with a few chicks in a plastic tote. I had no problems. The chicks created much more dust than I expected, but I dusted the heat lamp often. I have since seen so many stories about heat lamp fires. If you already have the set up I would monitor it closely. There are some nice alternatives although I have not tried them. People say good things.

I was shocked by how fast ducklings grow. My neighbor got baby chicks and ducklings 10 days ago. And the ducklings are 5 times the size of the chicks already.

On the safety issue. I used a heat lamp with a few chicks in a plastic tote. I had no problems. The chicks created much more dust than I expected, but I dusted the heat lamp often. I have since seen so many stories about heat lamp fires. If you already have the set up I would monitor it closely. There are some nice alternatives although I have not tried them. People say good things.
Thanks! Im just looking for an easier way than building one... So I'm open to other options too!

Duckies are messy. :p

A good way to help keep the bedding dry is to put the water on a baking sheet to catch spills.

Ducks need water deep enough to dip their entire bill into.

We used a big tote, but even the biggest didn't last long for our seven silver Appleyards. We eventually upgraded them to a kiddie pool with chicken wire fence around it. :)

We used a painters tray covered with hardware cloth under their water, and that worked great to catch the spills.

Back
Top Bottom