Safer Living Through Bribery

Pics

NewBoots

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 30, 2018
Lakeside, OR
So I intend to make a Fort Knox coop with a large attached run. When I'm working in the yard and garden I wanted to let the chickens range to eat bugs scratch about. Then when I go in the house again I'll need a way to get them to go back to their run.

A coworker said I'll have a devil of a time getting them back into the run. But I'm betting if I have a super high value treat (meal worms or something as tasty) I can use it to entice them back to the run. Maybe use a clicker or a special call that's only for this special treat.

What do you think?

I started with 50 mealworms... only about 15-20 went to the two girls I’ve been treating for medical issues. They have literally only gotten them three times for one chicken and twice for the second chicken. They willingly left the “safety” of the crate and walked out where I could grab them for treatment today at the sight of the deli cup. (I just lifted the new chicken and gave her the worms where I am doing their treatments) So they learn where the “tasty” comes from really quickly! I’ve got 5000 more coming on Wednesday and I’m going to start growing my own!

Food is the great leveller. I call @ random times. Sometimes I have treats, sometimes I don't but the girls come to check me out anyway. I use different containers too. Mealworms & cracked corn come in a tea cup; table scraps in a stainless steel bowl. I makes it really easy to round the girls up & get them back in their coop.

Heck, my cows perk up at the phrase “I’ve got tasty” now too... they know that means grain or alfalfa hay... they will follow me a mile if I tell them I have “tasty” lol. Should post a sign or something for tresspassers “tell bull you “have tasty” to deter from charging...” see how that works out for them! Less repeat tresspassers maybe?

Back
Top Bottom