Sail with quail?

Yes I was going to do a "study" on it but wanted to reaxh out first as to not just immediately kill three quail or something 😅 Was thinking youngins would be the way to go and just take them on some smaller trips so they can get acclimated while growing to laying age
Have you figured out where on the boat you're going to keep them? And what kind of quail? Also what are you going to do with their soiled bedding/ waste? 🤔 So many questions coming to mind! 🤣

Have you figured out where on the boat you're going to keep them? And what kind of quail? Also what are you going to do with their soiled bedding/ waste? 🤔 So many questions coming to mind! 🤣
The soiled bedding is a very real concern. I don't recommend throwing it overboard and keeping it onboard could quickly get gross and will stink of ammonia.

The soiled bedding is a very real concern. I don't recommend throwing it overboard and keeping it onboard could quickly get gross and will stink of ammonia.
I don’t know anything about sailing, or boats, but is there some kind of small chiminea or something that you could burn the bedding if you used something natural like pine. Or perhaps a small compost tumbler, I assume once it’s composted you can toss it into the ocean right, or keep it and use it. Or if you used sand as a substrate, you could probably scoop the poop and toss it into the water, people pee in the ocean all the time, and I’m guessing water birds fly over and poop in the ocean, and produce far more poop than your little quail.

I've had this same idea... but seeing as how I don't have a Sailboat... I'll still give you my opinion! :D

Quail would have to be young. For sure. Personally, I don't see how it would work on a 33 footer. It really depends on the deck layout and what all you store up there. I just feel like with bluewater waves and manning lines/whatnot, it would be real easy to get tossed into the cage and get cut pretty bad. I think you're going to have some soggy birds as well. Plus side is, you probably won't need to salt the eggs! Have you thought of importation documents and vetting, etc? That would be a bummer to get all the way to your resupply point, only to have to butcher and eat the quail that made it across an ocean with you (or worse, and not be permitted to dock). Also, don't forget to get a good non corrosive cage that can withstand the saltwater. What have you thought of for caging? I would assume that there has to be some sort of plastic cage, right? Stainless steel would be too heavy, I would think. Maybe not. I guess you could go the classic route and have some nice wooden ones.

My pick would be wood cages holding quail on a wood hull reproduction of a 1570's Portuguese Galleon. You'd just need an eyepatch, an earring, a keg or so of grog, and you'd be more than on your way to having a swashbuckling adventure fit for Sir Francis Drake himself! After typing all this, I can't help but feel like parrots would better suit your needs.🤔

All jokes aside, I'm jealous and I say do it. And definitely, keep us updated if you do!

Back
Top Bottom