Salmon favs gave zero interest in foraging

ziggywiggy1

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
I know salmon favs aren’t the best foragers but mine seem to have no interest in leaving the coop/run area. I don’t know if I should push them out more or what but even with the person coop door wide open, the most they’ll do is peck at the grass right outside the coop. Is this pretty typical? They’re almost 4 months old, and my Wyandotte ladies couldn’t seem to wait to get outside at their age. My rooster escaped the coop at one point and he basically just holed up under the coop rather than explore. Curious if this is other peoples experience.

I know salmon favs aren’t the best foragers but mine seem to have no interest in leaving the coop/run area. I don’t know if I should push them out more or what but even with the person coop door wide open, the most they’ll do is peck at the grass right outside the coop. Is this pretty typical? They’re almost 4 months old, and my Wyandotte ladies couldn’t seem to wait to get outside at their age. My rooster escaped the coop at one point and he basically just holed up under the coop rather than explore. Curious if this is other peoples experience.
I would just let yours find their way out in their own time without forcing them out. Every chicken is different, but I have noticed with my Faverolles that they are much more cautious and sensitive to everything going on around them compared to my other breeds. It took mine longer than the others to venture out, but once they did they now forage quite a bit. However, if they feel that something is unsafe even just a little they are the first to be taking cover. I take their cautiousness optimistically as I would rather have chickens that are more aware than aloof to what's going on around them.

Have you experienced any predator attacks that would give them reason to hesitate?

And try throwing some treats out for them. If they have reasons to hesitate, give them some reasons to get out there.
Not that I’ve noticed, we have hawks but I’ve never seen one attempt to get at the chickens. I usually only let them out an hour or so to forage. Honestly, they may just still be terrified of the Wyandottes.

Back
Top Bottom