Sapphire gem

Lobivia Jajoiana.gif Lobivia species Yellow flowered.jpg

Great free rangers, great egg layers. The eggs my pullet lays are heavy and extra large. You pick up a half full carton and the heft is suprising. She is also very confident, smart, and friendly. I was impressed enough to get 15 straight from hoover.
5 weekers free ranging.
20180919_174440.jpg

20180919_174418.jpg

My pullet. She lets my over exuberant son hold her quite often and puts up with his restlessness.
20180919_133137.jpg

arethey the sapphire gem Oliver eggers from Hoover ?
Hoovers offers two hybrids with similar names. There are sapphire gems, this thread, which are brown laying blue sex links....and new this year are sapphire gem olive Eggers, which are green laying hybrids that, judging by the crests, involve legbar genetics for the blue egg genetics. I currently have the former, got them last year, and receive the latter in a few weeks

I liked those Sapphire Gems and had thought to cross them with my Ameraucana's. As it turned out I discovered that my egg selling days were over. Some low life stole my eggs - WHILE I was home. At that point I realized I did not want people coming onto the property. Sold them and others. Am now incubating some Sussex eggs that hopefully will be fertile and the incubator worked. Should also be a nice cross. Speckled Sussex were a very nice breed.

I did not purchase them directly from Hoover’s but an Ace Hardware that sells pullets from Hoover’s. They told me they are sapphire gem Olive eggers. But out of the 5 I got one has a crest and 1 has slate legs. I just mailed Hoover’s and asked what they were crossed with so maybe I could figure out the genetics but they would tell me. The story also told me they were sex linked but they all look so different I can’t really be sure. Hoover’s also told me that was true but that isn’t how they determine the sex. So I’m still confused. I was just hoping someone had already gotten some from Hoover’s and could shed some light on the differences in traits.

I did not purchase them directly from Hoover’s but an Ace Hardware that sells pullets from Hoover’s. They told me they are sapphire gem Olive eggers. But out of the 5 I got one has a crest and 1 has slate legs. I just mailed Hoover’s and asked what they were crossed with so maybe I could figure out the genetics but they would tell me. The story also told me they were sex linked but they all look so different I can’t really be sure. Hoover’s also told me that was true but that isn’t how they determine the sex. So I’m still confused. I was just hoping someone had already gotten some from Hoover’s and could shed some light on the differences in traits.
Pics would help to determine what they are.

i need to know if sapphire gems go broody
thanks
Hello hello :) We got 5 sapphire gem hens in December 2021. One of our hens has gone broody so far. She hatched out 5 chicks. Only 2 survived, because mice. She has been an interesting mother, though it is her first time, so we’ve given her grace. She has raised her 2 little chicks well despite the oddities. She was very defensive of them, which is good and still hasn’t weaned them. Her little chickies are very friendly just like her. Overall, a good broody hen. I know this reply is late, but I hope it answers your question <3

Back
Top Bottom