Sapphire Olive Eggers from Hoover's Hatchery

I’m also going to add an update here - my 4 girls are 18 weeks old now, and someone started laying! I found a green egg in the nest box two days in a row, but have yet to see anyone sitting. I have a feeling it’s the girl with the darker head and big bright comb. My dark shell pullets (aka mystic marans) are starting to lay, and my legbars have been for about a month now, so my rainbow egg basket dreams are finally coming true!

Forgot to add that I sold the cockerel. Wish I could have kept him, but he was terrorizing the girls and fighting with my araucana boys.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Beautiful! 🥰
Still waiting on Peekaboo to lay our first green egg. Here she is at 20 weeks, no crest but still gorgeous. (Come on Peekaboo, hurry up with them eggs!! 😁 )

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-26-20-34-09-628.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-26-20-34-09-628.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 66
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Because my Dusty doesn't have the crest yet either. But stormy does . I was wondering if they have me one Sapphire Gem by accident. Guess I'll have to see if I ever get 2 olive eggs the same day. Lol
My olive egger has the same coloring, no head tuft, but has a beard and puffy cheeks, and so far has laid dark brown pullet eggs.

I'm making this thread to post information specifically about the Sapphire Olive Eggers from Hoover's Hatchery. They are a new breed for them and I can't find very much information on the anywhere. (NOT A SAPPHIRE GEM - THEY LAY BROWN EGGS) These lay olive eggs.

I contacted the hatchery and then said they do not disclose what breeds they used to get this mix. And they do not have a picture of the rooster.

If you have any of these please post pictures and the age the picture was taken. Also any information you can share on them. Thank you much :)
From what I understand in the limited reading I have done there is no guarantee to the colour of eggs you will get with these breeds. I ordered nine female babies, and the experience has been amazing except the two sapphire olive Eggers. I have they both be roosters. I’m sure one is a rooster, and I am suspecting the second one is as well. No need for a rooster in my flock, unfortunately

From what I understand in the limited reading I have done there is no guarantee to the colour of eggs you will get with these breeds. I ordered nine female babies, and the experience has been amazing except the two sapphire olive Eggers. I have they both be roosters. I’m sure one is a rooster, and I am suspecting the second one is as well. No need for a rooster in my flock, unfortunately
Can you send pictures of the rooster?

Recently I started getting eggs from my colored layer flock, so I can show a comparison of these hybrid layers egg colors. In my flock at least, the Sapphire Olive Eggers lay a rather sage colored egg compared to the barred olive Eggers, who lay a slightly darker olive egg

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    644.3 KB · Views: 56
Recently I started getting eggs from my colored layer flock, so I can show a comparison of these hybrid layers egg colors. In my flock at least, the Sapphire Olive Eggers lay a rather sage colored egg compared to the barred olive Eggers, who lay a slightly darker olive egg

Beautiful colors!
My Stormy (Sapphire Olive Egger) started laying first out of my new girls at around 18 weeks. They tend to start a little earlier than most it seems. Question: all my older hens lay lighter around eggs. My new ones are Easter eggers, Speckled Sussex, 1 Sapphire Olive Egger, 1 Sapphire Gem. Who could have laid this beautiful darker brown speckled egg?

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_184416656.jpg
    PXL_20230812_184416656.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 53
Beautiful! 🥰
Still waiting on Peekaboo to lay our first green egg. Here she is at 20 weeks, no crest but still gorgeous. (Come on Peekaboo, hurry up with them eggs!! 😁 )
I'm guessing Peekaboo is a Sapphire Gem. She might lay brown eggs. But she's gorgeous. They accidentally gave me a Gem instead of an Olive Egger but she is one of the most beautiful in my flock. Happy accident 🥰 Let me know how it turn out!

I'm guessing Peekaboo is a Sapphire Gem. She might lay brown eggs. But she's gorgeous. They accidentally gave me a Gem instead of an Olive Egger but she is one of the most beautiful in my flock. Happy accident 🥰 Let me know how it turn out!
She might be, someone has laid a pale brown, faintly speckled egg last couple of days. I've got 5 confirmed layers and she's the closest to POL compared to the remaining ones not laying yet. Or she could be one of the dreaded 5%....

*This hybrid is not perfect, about 5% of the hens may lay brown eggs.*

LoL, sure why not? I've got 2 speckled Sussex that I didn't order (but they're so awfully cute!) and 2 supposed Beielfelders (ordered one) that I'm suspicious are brown leghorns instead. One is laying a lovely cream colored egg and both have white ears and don't look or act very much like a beiel 🤔. Hey, I'm totally new to chickens, they could've put a duckling in my order and probably would've taken me a day or so to notice 🤪.

Whatever may be wonky about what I received, all are healthy happy girls, no one has crowed, and finally starting to get eggs! I'm happy with my blessings 🥰

Back
Top Bottom