Sapphire Olive Eggers from Hoover's Hatchery

Update! We have an egg and it isn't brown 🎉🎉 wouldn't quite call it olive but a green of sorts. Here it is next to my Prairie Bluebell hens egg- PBE is on the left, new hen is on the right.

Attachments

• 20230824_142039.jpg
    20230824_142039.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 31
Guess I'd better post an update too! :D
So after a couple days of nest stalking, Peekaboo has been confirmed as one of the SOE 5-percenters that lays brown eggs. However, they are a lovely mottled/speckled brown, so even tho they're not green, they're still pretty and unique among the eggs.
IMG_2023-08-20-10-53-25-789.jpg

But one morning I open the box to find a green egg! I'm thrilled but puzzled because I was sure the mottled eggs were hers so who laid a green one?! (No EEs here) More nest stalking....
IMG_20230821_115842-COLLAGE.jpg

Surprise (and confirmed!) - the olive eggs are from my Brown Leghorn that has one green toe! Don't know how it happened, she and her sister are a whole other story.... (all are from Hoover's Hatchery)

LoL, weird chicken happenings, but I'm pretty happy how things are turning out - I still got my green eggs! Now waiting on the PBE and what she lays, hopefully blue!

Guess I'd better post an update too! :D
So after a couple days of nest stalking, Peekaboo has been confirmed as one of the SOE 5-percenters that lays brown eggs. However, they are a lovely mottled/speckled brown, so even tho they're not green, they're still pretty and unique among the eggs.View attachment 3618989
But one morning I open the box to find a green egg! I'm thrilled but puzzled because I was sure the mottled eggs were hers so who laid a green one?! (No EEs here) More nest stalking....
View attachment 3618991
Surprise (and confirmed!) - the olive eggs are from my Brown Leghorn that has one green toe! Don't know how it happened, she and her sister are a whole other story.... (all are from Hoover's Hatchery)

LoL, weird chicken happenings, but I'm pretty happy how things are turning out - I still got my green eggs! Now waiting on the PBE and what she lays, hopefully blue!
You may know the answer to this. Lol. I'm my batch of new chickens this year I have 4 Easter Eggers, 1 Sapphire Gem, 1 Sapphire Olive egger(confirmed olive) and 3 speckled Sussex. One of them is giving me a darker brown egg with speckles. Which could it be? The only one I know of that could have genetics for the darker egg is the olive egger and she definitely lays olive eggs. It's puzzling me. Lop. Though I love the color so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230904-143214.png
    Screenshot_20230904-143214.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
You may know the answer to this. Lol. I'm my batch of new chickens this year I have 4 Easter Eggers, 1 Sapphire Gem, 1 Sapphire Olive egger(confirmed olive) and 3 speckled Sussex. One of them is giving me a darker brown egg with speckles. Which could it be? The only one I know of that could have genetics for the darker egg is the olive egger and she definitely lays olive eggs. It's puzzling me. Lop. Though I love the color so much.
Best guess? Maybe the Sapphire Gem? My two Speckled Sussex lay a buff-tan color, fairly light shade (2 on bottom row). My Sapphire Splash lays a medium brown shade (far right, middle row). Since the Gem, Splash, and Olive Egger (her egg 2nd from left middle row) probably have similar backgrounds, I'd bet on the Gem.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-09-04-15-15-16-498.jpg
    IMG_2023-09-04-15-15-16-498.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 20
My guess would be from the Sussex. I know that Easter Eggers can give all colors but I have not had one give the dark egg.

Best guess? Maybe the Sapphire Gem? My two Speckled Sussex lay a buff-tan color, fairly light shade (2 on bottom row). My Sapphire Splash lays a medium brown shade (far right, middle row). Since the Gem, Splash, and Olive Egger (her egg 2nd from left middle row) probably have similar backgrounds, I'd bet on the Gem.
Thank you. That makes sense. It's definitely only one that does it so that would fit. Thank you

Beautiful colors!
My Stormy (Sapphire Olive Egger) started laying first out of my new girls at around 18 weeks. They tend to start a little earlier than most it seems. Question: all my older hens lay lighter around eggs. My new ones are Easter eggers, Speckled Sussex, 1 Sapphire Olive Egger, 1 Sapphire Gem. Who could have laid this beautiful darker brown speckled egg?
Beautiful colors!
My Stormy (Sapphire Olive Egger) started laying first out of my new girls at around 18 weeks. They tend to start a little earlier than most it seems. Question: all my older hens lay lighter around eggs. My new ones are Easter eggers, Speckled Sussex, 1 Sapphire Olive Egger, 1 Sapphire Gem. Who could have laid this beautiful darker brown speckled egg?
Wow, I have an apparently Easter Egger hen that lays the exact same color. I call it orange and many times has speckled. Was supposed to be an Ameraucana for blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom