Sav-a-chick or Poultry Nutri-Drench?

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Im a new chick owner who hasnt gotten her chicks yet haha. I ordered my chicks online and was deciding whether to cancel the order or not because how the chicks can sometimes be truamatized and other things, but i decided to see how things go and let them be shipped
he.gif
. So after they get here, I know that they'll going to be out of it from being shipped all the way from CN( OMG BAD MISTAKE because CN is at the other end of U.S from where CA is) and i want to know what would work best to help them be stable(if all things go well and i get all my chicks =\).

thanks

I have used Nutri- Drench once and Sav-a-chick twice. I have to say I prefer Sav- a-chick. It seems to work better, and have a nicer texture.

What's sav a chic?
I need chick help.
Hmm Im not sure on this but i think its like a formula'd packet which you mix in 1 gallon water and it gives the baby chicks electrolyte. Something like a baby would drink(pediatric electrolyte) if its sick or just not feeling right. Having electrolytes in the body is very important.

Hmm Im not sure on this but i think its like a formula'd packet which you mix in 1 gallon water and it gives the baby chicks electrolyte. Something like a baby would drink(pediatric electrolyte) if its sick or just not feeling right. Having electrolytes in the body is very importI
Im buying sav-a-chick because i ordered chicks from online and theyre going to be shipped to me. They might have flight stress so thats why im going to give them it to drink.

Heres a description on sav-a-chick Sav-a-chick vitamin and electrolyte supplement taken from their website.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/FONT]Designed for keepers of small flocks, each packet of Sav-A-Chick® Electrolyte and Vitamin Supplement mixes into 1 gallon of drinking water. The single-use packets are pre-measured to ensure accurate feeding, as well as product freshness.
Formulated specifically for poultry, the balanced electrolyte formula supports hydration during hot weather or other stress, and is fortified with vitamins A, D, E, C, and seven B vitamins, all essential for proper growth and health in birds."

It's an electrolyte with vitamin supplement in powder form. How it's sold at out local feed store is three packet strips for about $3.50. One packet mixes to one gallon of water. We hatch our own chicks and I only use it after hatching if a few seem week. This last spring used 1/2 a packet and filled the quart water dispenser twice. Of course when it comes to chicks that really means they drank about half that and I cleaned out the rest with accompanying poo and pine chips.

Will probably mix up a gallon or two during the hottest week of summer for the adolescent and adult birds.

You can mix up smaller portions. So say two quarts per batch. Fill or partially fill your water dispenser and change it daily. Keep the rest in the refridgerator in an opaque container for up to 3 days. I'm using a gallon tea jar wrapped in pretty scrap fabric with chickies on it :) I have only 2 hens that are on Vitamins/Electrolytes/ProBios and a C Booster - so I need smaller batches. My vet said this is fine for 3 days but he wouldn't advise any longer once mixed. Once it reaches the 3 day limit, comes out of the refridgerator or is exposed to sunlight the 24 hr. clock starts ticking.

Last edited:
I am expecting chicks in a few weeks and ordered the "Save-a-Chick" suppliment and "Gro-Gel" to help with recovery after shipping and in any future stress. Not sure that both are needed, but I'm really nuts about the health of my animals and would like to be prepared for whatever may come up, especially in the first couple of critical days. I don't plan on using all of these at once of course, plan to use the "Gro-Gel" on the day of arrival, then the "Save-a-Chick" for the remainder of the first week, using it only as needed after. Is this an acceptable protocol, or is it too much?

I am expecting chicks in a few weeks and ordered the "Save-a-Chick" suppliment and "Gro-Gel" to help with recovery after shipping and in any future stress. Not sure that both are needed, but I'm really nuts about the health of my animals and would like to be prepared for whatever may come up, especially in the first couple of critical days. I don't plan on using all of these at once of course, plan to use the "Gro-Gel" on the day of arrival, then the "Save-a-Chick" for the remainder of the first week, using it only as needed after. Is this an acceptable protocol, or is it too much?
I was thinking about doing the same thing. I worry too much for the health of my baby chicks after i receive them =O

Back
Top Bottom