Save the swans

Quote:
Well trumpeters are the native type of swan and they are being out competed by Mute swans.

I know all that. Didn't you see me say I live on the Chesapeake Bay and understand the problems with the mute swans? Due to my locale I probably understand the problems better than most. I can STILL think they're lovely. And wish there were a better way.

I think mute swans are lovely. I think trumpeter swans are lovely. And heck.. I even think Guinea Keets are lovely. That's just who I am.

All over the US there are species that invade habitats that they cause severe harm to like, muscovys, deer, cormorants, and..heres the big one folks US!!
But that is just the facts of life at the moment, so we have affected nature in many harmful ways but through proper conservancy we can regulate the population of invasive species that further damage vegetation, by regulated fishing/hunting and stricter consequences for the release of non-native species into the wild without proper authority. Some of this though is just a lot to regulate and some of it can't be done, and yet a lot of it can. It would be nice to see the species not killed and just left, but rather have people go ahead and get there federal waterfowl stamps, state stamps, HIP stamps, hunting licenses that contribute to other conservancy programs and have hunters that truly appreciate the grace of the birds and respect them and use there meat rather than throwing it away.

EDITED: Just my 2 cents. Hope i don't upset anybody. I love a good argument but mods might step in soon before myself or someone else gets there feeling hurt....
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes they should.Never understood why more people don't eat them,swans are quite tasty.

The reason why is because they are so pretty and some people don't want them killed, and specially not eaten. I thinks it sad.

My general feeling is to this subject is yes swans are pretty but they are beginning a pain, so something needs to be done. And if a hunting season is opened on them it controls the population and puts food on the table.

Why kill such a graceful animal? I don't know why in the world they are killing them in the northern states when you have tons and tons of people here in the south willling to pay upwards of $1000 just to get a pair? If they want to get rid of them that bad they should just pinion several and send them down south! But as far as killing them I don't agree. And if they certainly must be killed they Ned to be eaten, this just goes to show that hardly anyone has any respect for living creatures!!!!

*this is just my opinion, sorry if it offends you!

Hopefully this is a teachable moment. When people ask about releasing zebra finches, pheasants, bar-headed geese, or whatever, remind them of the problems that can occur. Regulations on keeping exotic species often arise from issues like this (i.e. not being able to keep mallards in Florida, egyptian geese in oregon, quelea anywhere in the US, Java Rice birds in California, and the list expands). Anytime someone asks me about releasing an exotic (actually here in Louisiana, we cannot release natives either for other reasons), I try to dissuade them because of the possible reprocussions.

As for catching them and relocating, there ALOT of concern that it would only expand the problems to more areas because of future escapees, no pinioining of young, etc.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom