Scaly Leg Mites Question

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
Hi All,

I've been reading up on the scaly leg mites and have determined that that is definitely what my hen has. Today, I completely cleaned out the coop and put new shavings in and liberally sprinkled in DE. My question is, I only have one hen that has any symptoms...so do I have to treat all of them? Oh, and are ducks susceptible to them too? I've got ducks that will spend time in the coop until we come out and herd them into their own house.

Thanks for any advice.
big_smile.png

If you are certain that your chicken has an ACTIVE scaly leg mite problem you can treat this immediately safely and easily.

Get some 10W40 and spray it on the legs of your infected birds. Spray the roosts and the nesting boxes.

Wait a few days and then use sevin dust on your roosts and nesting boxes. If you have to you can dust your birds also.

The 10W40 is just a quick fix, but it is VERY effective and does not harm your birds.

Some use Pine Tar or Vaseline on their birds. I prefer to doing this only if the problem will not go away.

If you can find some DE locally, put this down in your litter and where your birds take dust baths.

Also, watch for lice in your birds HEAD AREA. Watch for mites on their vent (you will have to check this a night time)

I try really hard to pick up ONE bird every morning and give them a looksie. Silkie chickens and cochins have the hardest

problem with leg mites because of their feathered legs.

Thanks for the reply...I have been so busy that I have not been able to take care of this yet, but when I closed them up for the night, I noticed another one is showing signs, so I definitely will be treating all of them. And I usually do use DE, but my kids cleaned out the coop last time and I forgot to have them sprinkle it in. When I cleaned out the coop yesterday, I gave a very thorough dusting of it and added some to their food as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to take care of them tomorrow.

Only one question wasn't answered though...are ducks susceptible to these mites as well?

Thanks for the input!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom