scared i could have a mycoplasma problem! Help with dosage!

littlequail21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
OK, my chickens are really well cared for and 100% healthy however i went and visited my friends farm a few miles away and i find she has a HUGE disease problem. chickens are all sick and dieing when i was there i saw 2 dead in the yard and over 50+ Sick,puffed eyed, sneezing, and just Horrible and of course i brought it up!

she said she has Mycoplasma and gives all the chickens High dosing of Antibiotics to everything, but Most of her birds seemed extremely sick! well After i came home i rushed in said washed my shoes took a shower and threw my clothes in the washer, Now she has been here before too and i have been there before as well but i never saw the outbreak THAT bad. well....about 3 days later i see Bubbly eyes in 2 hens. Nothing else Wrong but i flipped...i just brought home Tetroxy HCA-280 can i dose the Full amount even though they are not showing any signs. even the hens with the Bubbles seem Fine.

(am getting rid of the Bubbly hens Tomorrow!)

am going to treat all my chickens. Can i do the full dose? also how many days? how long should i throw out eggs?​

Are you sure its Mycoplasma?

If it is the case, then it is most likely your birds already got some. Once they have it, and survived it, they are carriers for life. It is usually fatal in most cases.

Either destroy all of them, sterilize the facilities and start up later OR treat the birds but never can sell any birds, chicks or hatching eggs off the premises.

i have no idea what it could be, what are the chances it was "just" Bubbles in 2 hens eyes, No one else is showing any signs, Not even the hens with bubbles which are bubble free. it could be nothing, but i want to Check and Make sure.

Bubbles in the corners of the eyes can mean a sinusitis infection or mycoplasmosis or some simple irritation in the eye itself, even high ammonia levels. I don't know dosage for Tetracycline since, if there was something worth medicating for and I was of a mind to use antibiotics at all, I'd use Tylan injections. Tetracycline is pretty mild stuff.

Your friend sounds like she needs an education in chicken diseases! Of course, all her antibiotic usage is for NOTHING since it won't cure the disease. That stays in the flock permanently.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom