Scared into a seizure?

Spinnychick

Hatching
Jul 21, 2017
I have 5 cot chicks that are about 5 weeks old. So far none of them have crowed at all and I'm horrible at sexing them until there's foam. One of the tux's was being a little aggressive so I tried to check whether it was a young male or just a bossy hen. I never really did find out because it's went really stiff then its neck went limp while the rest of its body twitched. I know I wasn't holding it tightly enough to injure it, just that it couldn't move and claw me. I freaked out and set it down and I was pretty sure that it was dead because it was totally limp and it's eyes were open, and I couldn't see it breathing. After about 15 seconds it moved a bit and started breathing and then panting, and after a couple more minutes it sat up, then eventually ran to the other end of the cage. After a couple hours, it still looks like it's panting off and on, but still seems alert and extremely wary of me.
Did I seriously just terrify it into a reboot, or should I be worried? I can't find any information about them having seizures or fainting.

I don't know anything about them having seizures but I do know birds in general are very sensitive to stress. You can stress a bird to death. I'd try reducing stress overall for them. Maybe add a few more hiding spots and reduce outside stimulus as much as possible. See if that helps.

I've heard of something similar in budgies. Apparently some breeders of English budgies use artificial insemination on their birds and they use some kind of straw to get the sperm from the males. However, some of the males will get seizures when held to get the sperm and the breeder said not to use this method with these males as they will die.
So I guess you bird is indeed scared into a seizure and that it might keep happening every time you hold it - so you shouldn't hold it if you want the bird to live.

I have several adults and I've never had them do anything like this. If they're really freaked out sometimes they'll puke and crap all over me. It seems ok this morning but I'd still like to make sure it's not a cranky female just pushing her weight around. I guess I wait and watch for foamy poop.

Some birds are just plain sensitive. Birds also don't like being held facing the sky. It is an unnatural position and usually only happens when they are being taken by a predator. It affects their perception hence causing a trance like state and increased stress, sometimes to the point of death. I gently tried to leg band a flock of canaries once. Several of them passed out.

Back
Top Bottom