Scared pullet of Head rooster

Alexiz1238

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2022
So I hatched an egg in an incubator and the baby chick was born back in august 2022, she is now a pullet and she absolutely avoids the rest of my hens and head rooster, she is obviously already sexually mature but she is afraid of the head rooster because as a chick whenever I let her outside for a bit all he ever did was try and chase her off. Nowadays he was still chasing her off up to about a week ago where now he actually tries to do his chicken dance to try and sway her, but she just avoids him and the rest of the flock now to the point where she doesn’t even sleep with the rest of the flock, she’ll sleep in her own pen that I made for her when she was a chick. Any suggestions on how to incorporate her into the flock completely?(keep in mind they free range all day so there always available to eachother)

Any suggestions on how to incorporate her into the flock completely?
Welcome to BYC!
Just leave her to figure it out on her own. If she had been brooded with the flock or hatched under a broody it would be a little better for her but not much. Lone chicks take a long time to fully integrate into the flock. As long as she isn't being injured, she should be okay.
About the only thing I would do is place her on the roost well after full dark so she is at least roosting with the flock.

The lowest in the pecking order gets treated that way. I don’t know that it can be changed. My 7 yr old Sussex hen Speck used to be top hen. She was especially mean to a little Sebright named Moonshine, a year younger. Now the tables are turned. Old Speck is the lowest in the pecking order. Everyone chases her away, especially Moonshine. It is her life mission to make sure that Speck is reminded of her low status. There is an extra coop that Speck is relegated to at night, tho occasionally she can slip in the main coop after everyone is asleep (if I haven’t closed up yet.)

Back
Top Bottom