Seasonal run floor covering

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
Have an uncovered run, right now it's just grass, but I know that will not last.
I have heard great things about sand, but my wife worries that it will get too hot in the summer.
She has heard great things about mulch, but I am not sure how that will fair in the wetter months (mold, etc.)
What are you thoughts? If I sought a "free chip drop" for this purpose would I be putting the chickens at risk? Randon chips from unknown sources...
Thanks in advance?

One) Where are you??? Some climates favor one floor over another.
Two) Chip drops work best if you can spread them out somewhere and age them some before they go into the run. You never know what may be in them, or how much moisture they contain. What's in them is more likely to be a problem for you, rather than the chickens - but if its high moisture and laid thickly, its prime conditions for mold/mildew growth - which is bad for you both.

If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters. :)

The majority of people who are happy with sand over the long term live in dry climates and have fully-covered runs.

I'm a great fan of deep litter in the run. Chickens are creatures of the forest floor so a run full of wood chips, leaves, pine straw, and other such organic material seems to be the most natural possible environment for them. :)

One) Where are you??? Some climates favor one floor over another.
Two) Chip drops work best if you can spread them out somewhere and age them some before they go into the run. You never know what may be in them, or how much moisture they contain. What's in them is more likely to be a problem for you, rather than the chickens - but if its high moisture and laid thickly, its prime conditions for mold/mildew growth - which is bad for you both.
Indiana. Maybe a thin layer beats a thick layer. My wife read a webpage that was raving about it. Thought it really was the way to go.
I told her that I wasn't sure if the local farm store would even have it all year around. I see the benefit in the summer, but worry about it as it gets wetter. She thinks she can just move it around and it will be ok. I told her that those websites don't always tell you where they are and that is important... I think she said the things she was reading was from Texas... I'm like, "well..."

If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters. :)

The majority of people who are happy with sand over the long term live in dry climates and have fully-covered runs.

I'm a great fan of deep litter in the run. Chickens are creatures of the forest floor so a run full of wood chips, leaves, pine straw, and other such organic material seems to be the most natural possible environment for them. :)
Would you suggest a mix of mulch and straw?

Would you suggest a mix of mulch and straw?

I personally use a mix of coarse wood chips, pine straw, straw, dried lawn clippings, fall leaves, etc.

Lots of different things can work, though each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

For example, straw is more likely to pack down and form mats that turn anaerobic.

Wood decomposes more slowly (good because it lasts, bad if you want chicken compost rapidly).

Fall leaves are seasonally abundant and free -- but can also pack and mat.

Pine straw is highly resistant to packing and always dries out quickly on top after even the heaviest rain, but it's not very absorbent and only regionally-available.

What can you get easily and affordably?

Indiana. Maybe a thin layer beats a thick layer. My wife read a webpage that was raving about it. Thought it really was the way to go.
I told her that I wasn't sure if the local farm store would even have it all year around. I see the benefit in the summer, but worry about it as it gets wetter. She thinks she can just move it around and it will be ok. I told her that those websites don't always tell you where they are and that is important... I think she said the things she was reading was from Texas... I'm like, "well..."
Coarse wood chippings (from tree trimmers, not available from a farm store) alone can work fine in a wetter climate.
The key to using wood chippings is not piling them too deep if they are fresh,
especially if the chippings include green leaves, that's when you can get a possibly toxic bloom of mold/mildew growing in the chippings.

I mix in a bit of dry grass clippings and/or some straw from time to time.
Or even some pine shavings(from the farm store) especially in during winter thaws.

full

full

Deep litter with a wood chip base handles wet just fine, provided that the existing drainage at the location is good. It's probably the most popular form of run litter here in the Pacific NW, and we know rain since it's barely stopped raining since spring. :)

Best to build it up in thin layers over time. Add in other organic matter as you get it (a great way to eat up dried leaves in fall, grass clippings in summer, etc.) If you like gardening, in a couple of years you can sift out the "dirt" for amazing top dressing for your garden.

Back
Top Bottom