Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone is able to tell by my picture if the baby goose I hatched is male or female. I've done some reading and from what I understand that the darker ones are usually female and lighter are males. Well, I only had this one to hatch. I have been calling it a female, but I'm not really 100% sure. She/he hatched this past Easter. These pics I took soon after. Since not having another sebastopol (other than pictures) to compare, I just thought I would ask. I doesn't really matter to me, we have already bonded. I have been call her Lucy. If she turns out to be a he, I just thinks 'he' would rather have more of a manly name.

Poor little thing had some 'leg' issues, but that has all healed now. So what do you think, Lucy, or a Lucas? Thanks for the info. This is my first time owning a goose. I'm in LOVE!

Id would guess that its a girl. The darker they are when they hatched the better odd of them being a female. I hope that helps!

Not of there is any color in the back ground, then you can have light color girls at hatch and dad,ER colored boys at hatch. Knowing the parents and grandparents coloring is helpful to color auto sex, otherwise vent sexing, then DNA when feathers grow in.

Thanks everyone. All I know about parents is from a picture and they both where white. And I don't know if there were any mixing of colors down their line. This is my first experince with a goose and I wasn't 100% on how to tell. (Like ducks, the curl in the tail. Or a difference in making noise, etc) I have vented in trying to figure out what sex, will a few successes. I have two turkeys that both vented to be boys,but one I'm still not for sure.
hu.gif
At what age do sebastopols start laying eggs? I may just have to what till that either happens (or doesn't happen) to be 100% sure.
This is what he/she looks like now.

Das, looks to be a smooth lavender. Very pretty face congrats.
big_smile.png

Aunt-pa not knowing the parents makes it impossible to know the gender of that gosling. The only time auto sexing works in Sebastopols is when the parent stock is nothing but all white. Any added coloration at all will mess with the visual auto sexing. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Vent sexing, or waiting for adult feathers and plucking one for DNA sexing will be you best ways to know. Or you can wait for next spring and see if you get any eggs.
Thank you. Pretty sure he is male. He is the leader of the pack and I'm pretty sure he knows he's gorgeous.
big_smile.png
I hatched 5/7 shipped eggs. 3 curly grey, 1 smooth grey and this cutie. He has the personality to go with his looks. We also have 3 white. I think these guys are more addictive that my peas. I see many more in my future.
lau.gif

Very pretty smooth breasted. 2012 goslings won't lay eggs until 2013 as geese are only seasonal layers. Venting goslings takes some practice, but isn't impossible. Metzers has a great video showing how to vent waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom