Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

You all touched on how I feel. These geese are such a joy and full of personality. However, when breeding season comes along, we are going to be in a world of hurt when their hormones kick in. We had placed ads for the extra boys. It won't hurt to repost the ads for a few more months and see if someone is interested. End of October would be the cutoff date to keep them. Here in Central New York, people want females, or want food. I have yet to find anyone who wants extra males for pets. I would rather have my husband butcher them, than give them to someone else to butcher. I thought about bringing them to a small animal auction, but I have just as little control over the fate they would meet.

I was hoping one or two of you would pop in and say they are tastey. That way I would somehow feel better about going through with butchering them, and less guilty about even thinking of sending them to freezer camp! This is why DH tells me not to get attached to the animals. I just can't help it!

I thought it was Oregon Blues that said they eat their cull Pomeranians? I might be wrong, but its somebody in the NW.

We keep planning on butchering our extra roos for the same reasons, but we haven't been able to do the deed. I wish I could though.

You all touched on how I feel. These geese are such a joy and full of personality. However, when breeding season comes along, we are going to be in a world of hurt when their hormones kick in. We had placed ads for the extra boys. It won't hurt to repost the ads for a few more months and see if someone is interested. End of October would be the cutoff date to keep them. Here in Central New York, people want females, or want food. I have yet to find anyone who wants extra males for pets. I would rather have my husband butcher them, than give them to someone else to butcher. I thought about bringing them to a small animal auction, but I have just as little control over the fate they would meet.

I was hoping one or two of you would pop in and say they are tastey. That way I would somehow feel better about going through with butchering them, and less guilty about even thinking of sending them to freezer camp! This is why DH tells me not to get attached to the animals. I just can't help it!
I say if you can't find good homes for them and can't keep them on your farm then it is a noble act to butcher them yourselves. I feel the same way you do, I don't want my extra roos that I have raised from chicks to be at the hands of someone else killing them. I want them to have as little fear as possible and I feel that being with me in the moments before they die is hopefully the least stressful place for them.

I am sure they are tasty!! You could fatten them up on corn, that is what I did with my last batch of spare roos and they turned out pretty good. They were originally bred as a dual purpose goose so why not? Lots of people eat geese, my nana used to make one every christmas. Do what is best for you and your birds. I just can't tell you how they taste because I have too much money tied up in them to ever consider eating them!! The coyotes seem to think they must taste good because we have had several run ins with them until we got Pyrs and they were always after the geese!

I am finally able to post in this thread!

After searching high and low for some Sebbies and other types of geese I was lucky enough to find an ad on Craigslist. A lady was selling a two year old White Roman goose, along with 4 Sebbie x Roman goslings, and 1 pure White Sebastapol gosling. After lots of talking back and forth, and a week or waiting I was able to bring home these beauties. Please tell me what you think. I am not sure, but it seems like the Sebbie has wing problems? Yes, no? I have not owned geese for very long so I'm still learning. Pictures...

Sorry for the bad pictures. They did NOT like me coming in their pen. I will try and get some better pictures. Thanks y'all

~ Aspen

Hey Aspen,

The right wing does appear to stick out from the body, not twist in. Could be angel wing that wasnt treated in time to correct. Personally not a fan of the whites being crossed with other white goose breeds since it doesnt help improve the Sebbie at all.

I am finally able to post in this thread!

After searching high and low for some Sebbies and other types of geese I was lucky enough to find an ad on Craigslist. A lady was selling a two year old White Roman goose, along with 4 Sebbie x Roman goslings, and 1 pure White Sebastapol gosling. After lots of talking back and forth, and a week or waiting I was able to bring home these beauties. Please tell me what you think. I am not sure, but it seems like the Sebbie has wing problems? Yes, no? I have not owned geese for very long so I'm still learning. Pictures...

Sorry for the bad pictures. They did NOT like me coming in their pen. I will try and get some better pictures. Thanks y'all

~ Aspen
What you are seeing is twisted wing tip on that seb. She has kind of stiff flights and they have been broken so they stick out like that. She would probably look better if she were in better condition also.

You could try to pull the feathers a few at a time on that wing so that they grow back. She may also just be at the end of her molt and those wing feathers are still growing. You need to pick her up and do a good inspection on her.

Back
Top Bottom