Sebastopol Goose leg issues

Charky2002

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
Hello

We got a gosling and unfortunately a couple days later the poor thing slipped its tendon. We took him to the vet as soon as we could (tough to find one that could see him - took a couple days) and she put the tendon back in place and casted the leg/foot. The day before he was supposed to go back to the vet I noticed his toe starting to stick out and look very purple/swollen. I cut away the cast from the foot and it looked terrible. I assume since he was growing so fast the cast got too tight. Fast forward a couple weeks and multiple vet trips/meds. The swollen leg is looking better but he will not move the leg or foot. It’s almost like it is seized from it being swollen and not moving so long. The vet keeps doing “checkups” but nothing is changing. Does anyone have experience with rehabilitating waterfowl with this issue?? We are giving niacin/vitamins daily.

Hello

We got a gosling and unfortunately a couple days later the poor thing slipped its tendon. We took him to the vet as soon as we could (tough to find one that could see him - took a couple days) and she put the tendon back in place and casted the leg/foot. The day before he was supposed to go back to the vet I noticed his toe starting to stick out and look very purple/swollen. I cut away the cast from the foot and it looked terrible. I assume since he was growing so fast the cast got too tight. Fast forward a couple weeks and multiple vet trips/meds. The swollen leg is looking better but he will not move the leg or foot. It’s almost like it is seized from it being swollen and not moving so long. The vet keeps doing “checkups” but nothing is changing. Does anyone have experience with rehabilitating waterfowl with this issue?? We are giving niacin/vitamins daily.
Could you post pictures of the leg?

Are you doing warm water therapy? Which may help with swelling and getting the strength back in the leg. You could also do Epsom salt wraps which you soak a cloth in warm Epsom salt water wring it out so it’s not soaked wrap the leg until the cloth cools. Pictures will def help.

I have been doing warm water soaks daily which he loves but will also try the Epson salt wrap as well. It was an avian vet we saw. I’ve attached a couple photos below including one after the first procedure to try and fix the leg. Thank you so much for your responses
IMG_3408.jpeg
IMG_3409.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

70897194474__EB5EC280-42EC-44D9-9FCE-FA37A96D7AA7.jpeg

Have you tried a boot on the foot to keep it flat like normal? Easy to make using a plastic cool whip container or something similar, cut to the size of the foot wrap in vet wrap to cover sharp edges then lay the foot flat on it then use vet wrap to attach it to the foot. Making sure not to wrap too tight and cut off circulation. Go up past the ankle when wrapping to keep it on they are really good at getting these type of things off.

When he is in the water is he using his leg?

If you can get a video of the gosling using the leg that would be helpful too.
and :welcome

Have you tried a boot on the foot to keep it flat like normal? Easy to make using a plastic cool whip container or something similar, cut to the size of the foot wrap in vet wrap to cover sharp edges then lay the foot flat on it then use vet wrap to attach it to the foot. Making sure not to wrap too tight and cut off circulation. Go up past the ankle when wrapping to keep it on they are really good at getting these type of things off.

When he is in the water is he using his leg?

If you can get a video of the gosling using the leg that would be helpful too.
and :welcome
I will try to get a video. It’s not just the foot that’s a problem. He doesn’t use the leg at all. Just keeps it bent and hops around on one leg 😢. Same thing in the water. He has another vet appointment today so I’m hoping for some good news. But honestly I thing the tendon is too tight. I cant even get the leg to straighten. I feel so terrible for him.

Not great news from our vet. She thinks his tendon slipped out again. It’s too tight to slip back. We had the quality of life talk. She thinks amputation might be the only way to improve it. But I’m not sure if I’m willing to go that far. It would cost way more than we have. At this point we’ve already spent close to a thousand dollars. She is going to get back with a rehabilitation plan soon and we will have to
make a decision. Im really sad about it.

Back
Top Bottom