Secrete to keeping silkies alive

This isn't an answer to your problem but I find silkies to have a limited range of sight. And with chickens sight is very important to navigate around there environment. There is the option to trim back there feathers around there eyes. Makes them less prone for injuries.
Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've ordered a few more. I'm thinking this time I will keep them in a padded cell.

I slept in one day and went out to feed the chicken's. Didn't see the silkie. Thinking oh great, nope just stuck in timeout. Or the time she stood out in the rain and then rolled in mud puddle.

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_093128298.jpg
    IMG_20211022_093128298.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210918_104908370.jpg
    IMG_20210918_104908370.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 7
Funny you should mention her... I've got a CCL mix who's guilty of the same thing! We affectionately call her Ninny.
Yeah she didn't stay long because she would scream if other chicken's, the same chicken's she was raised with mind you, came near her. This would insue them to all gang up on her. It's like if you just stop screaming they might leave you alone.

love your humor and i love silkies.i need to catch my silkie roo and give him a haircut.
Thank you. 😁 Humor is the spice of life. Couldn't go through without in my life and work. Speaking of silkie roos. I actually have one....he's 4.... I've never been able to keep a hen past 1. He is the sweetest roo, never had an issue. Which is the only reason I kept him because he will hide under his larger hens for protection and I have no use for a rooster. But hey every needs a mascot. The place I got him is where I just ordered more silkies from. Maybe this hatchery has better odds.

I just keep mine in a pen. They don't feee range once their crest comes in. I don't trim their crests either.
I recently had a dog pass away so now I have a free 10x10 kennel that I believe will become kampground silkie. Though I foresee one sticking it's head through the chain link.😑 I even bought a silkie proof feeder this time.

Back
Top Bottom