294.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220805_191653678.jpg
    IMG_20220805_191653678.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220805_183319093.jpg
    IMG_20220805_183319093.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 3
Oh my gosh! Love the powder puff on her head😂😂
She had a puffball alright. So did her brother potato. I hope the next batch doesn't need haircuts. I bought 4 chick's hopefully one will stick around.

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_091441542.jpg
    IMG_20210801_091441542.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 5
I have two Polish hens and one Silkie hen. Last winter I converted an old horse stall in my barn for them to live in while it was cold out. Now they live in one of those premade TSC coops placed inside my main chicken run– they spend the day in the run with the big hens and get locked in their little coop at night.

I would like to know what the secret is to keeping silkies alive. I swear if it wasn't for me saving them everyday from the mothership they stare up into the sky looking for to come get them. I've had them drown in an inch of water, one just keeled over and another managed to hang herself in the feeder. I've saved them from drowning in the rain, sleeping in planter boxes, roosting a foot off the ground outside the coop. I had one who try and sleep 6 feet from the coop door every night. I love the little buggers but I wish they weren't constantly trying to unalive themselves. 😵‍💫
Your post made me laugh! thanks, you have a good sense of humour. Keep trying. Quite a few of my silkies have made it to 10, 11 plus years. I too do haircuts and it helps immensly.

What is the best silkie water and feed set up people use that silkies can't unalive themselves with? Other than Chicken nipples.

My last silkie managed to get her head between the two metal pieces on this one

Attachments

• download~2.jpg
    download~2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
I use this one, I bought it because I liked the color 😆 It seems to work pretty well for the Silkie and Polish, but my standard hens waste too much feed with this type of feeder.View attachment 3194089
Ok good because that's the one I bought in bright red, you know in case they can't see their feeder 😂. I don't see how they could get caught in it but than again I didn't think that happen with the last one.😑

Wow ten years, that's impressive. I've only had them make it to a year. But with their own set up and not free yard time they might live longer. I work at a place with an exotics vet. So I'm the crazy chicken lady according to my coworkers. I'm not actually. I've had someone spend $5000 on a chicken. Don't ask. Each their own. But my coworkers like to buy my chickens gifts. Namely clothes. 😂 Because they think it's hilarious. Just wait until tomorrow when I have to round up 6 chicken's with 6 hats to appease them. 🤣:wee
My silkies are out every day (except winter), rain or shine running in they're approx 1/4 acre run. No roof, just fencing, having fun like a chicken should.

Back
Top Bottom