Seizures in ducks?

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Have an 8 week old welsh harlequin. They spend their days outside but nights inside at this time. Perfectly fine minutes ago. I happen to look over at their pen and they both are sunbathing like normal, then all of a sudden one stretches out both of her legs and stretched out her neck (all while laying on her stomach) then flops over. I thought she was dead, ran over, still breathing. She lays like that for maybe a minute, zero movement but breathing. I flip her over and she jumps onto her feet. Seems dazed but is eating and drinking some.
Was this a duck seizure? Is she going to be okay? Her sister who she spends all her time with us perfectly fine.
I was about to put them outside full time starting tomorrow. Should I hold off awhile longer?

She died today. Not sure why. Assuming another seizure. No evidence of an attack and her sister who was with her in the pen was perfectly fine. Her poor sister is so sad without her. We put two of our other ducks in with her but she’s still just calling for the dead one

She died today. Not sure why. Assuming another seizure. No evidence of an attack and her sister who was with her in the pen was perfectly fine. Her poor sister is so sad without her. We put two of our other ducks in with her but she’s still just calling for the dead one
I'm so sorry for your loss! check their food for mold and make sure there are no dead rodents, bad water, or possible poison near the duck area. From my experience seizures are caused by poisoning more than epilepsy. You might want to move the other ducks out from the area she had it.

I have an 8-9 week old welsh harlequin doing this… just started tonight at 3am. I had her inside in a brooder for leg issues and she’s been improving until she started doing this. She has been on nutri drench for the leg issue. And definitely separated from all environmental issues outside. I managed to get a video. She was unresponsive to both physical and audio stimulus but it stopped when I picked her up and moved her. She is a tsc duckling that I got to try to sneak under a broody hen that failed to hatch eggs… I also have two others but they are showing no symptoms and the rest of my welsh have had no symptoms.

Is this what you saw?

I'm so sorry for your loss! check their food for mold and make sure there are no dead rodents, bad water, or possible poison near the duck area. From my experience seizures are caused by poisoning more than epilepsy. You might want to move the other ducks out from the area she had it.
I moved them all from the area they were in when I first saw her have one. I thought poisoning too but her sister has been perfectly fine. They were just getting ready to be integrated in with the rest of our flock

I moved them all from the area they were in when I first saw her have one. I thought poisoning too but her sister has been perfectly fine. They were just getting ready to be integrated in with the rest of our flock
Did she have any crest or symptoms before this? I had a Muscovy do the same thing at the same age and it was genetically related.

That's sad. Okay Nutri drench isn't going to help with leg issues you need liquid B complex TSC carries one called Durvet and it will say injectable but we pull off the foil pull out the stopper and pull out 1ml put it over a tasty treat just enough she eats the whole thing and gets all the B complex. This may help with her seizures too. Not saying Nutri drench isn't good stuff I use it at times but for leg issues, the Liquid B complex is the best and fastest.
What are you feeding your ducklings? Have you been supplementing with a form of niacin? besides Nutri drench?

Back
Top Bottom