Select for colour or shape first?

Nigel27

Crowing
Apr 22, 2020
West coast North America
I have two roosters to choose from, one has skin colour and shape I’m going for and the other has the plumage colour I want. Which one do I choose? they’re full brothers too
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have two roosters to choose from, one has skin colour and shape I’m going for and the other has the plumage colour I want. Which one do I choose? they’re full brothers too

Which one is which?
Can you describe what is better about the one's plumage color vs. the other one?

The better shaped bird is likely to be the better choice, but it will partly depend on the hens you have to mate him with, and partly on your overall goals.

Since they're full brothers--it might be worth hatching more eggs from the same parents, to try to get all those good qualities in one bird.

In general, select for shape first.

Are these roosters Barred Plymouth Rock-Ayam Cemani crosses?

They’re beautiful birds, but this looks like a long-term multi-generational project.

If these are BR/AC, what you’re seeing is the Barred gene dominating over the Fm gene from the AC. The Barred is kinda like a white gene that gives white bars over black. And it totally controls leg color, making the legs yellow.

If you want a big chicken that is also meaty and fibro, you might select the biggest girth rooster and mate him to fibro hens to get stronger Fm influence over time.

They’re beautiful birds, but this looks like a long-term multi-generational project.

If these are BR/AC, what you’re seeing is the Barred gene dominating over the Fm gene from the AC. The Barred is kinda like a white gene that gives white bars over black. And it totally controls leg color, making the legs yellow.

If you want a big chicken that is also meaty and fibro, you might select the biggest girth rooster and mate him to fibro hens to get stronger Fm influence over time.
Where’s the AC? :idunno

Where’s the AC? :idunno
The AC literally disappears under the white barring! The Bar gene is incredibly dominant!

The black part of the barring in the mix is pretty good, and the combs have patches.

No more Barred Rock hens. You’ll get even more yellow legs and average BPR appearance.

These roos need to go with AC hens to work on the very dominant Bar gene, which is white barring on blaque background. I would keep both roos to see which gives the best offspring for size and girth.

Tried to find a better thread on this topic, but here’s one that’s OK.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ayam-cemani-barred-rock-this.1153003/

The AC literally disappears under the white barring! The Bar gene is incredibly dominant!

The black part of the barring in the mix is pretty good, and the combs have patches.

No more Barred Rock hens. You’ll get even more yellow legs and average BPR appearance.

These roos need to go with AC hens to work on the very dominant Bar gene, which is white barring on blaque background. I would keep both roos to see which gives the best offspring for size and girth.

Tried to find a better thread on this topic, but here’s one that’s OK.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ayam-cemani-barred-rock-this.1153003/
I just mean why do you think they are AC crosses?

Thank you guys! The top pic actually has black legs the bottom pic has marbled yellow and black. I’d love to get some fibro barred, that would be awesome but for now if just trying to get fibro anything, their sisters are very black and some of their babies are fibro

I just mean why do you think they are AC crosses?
they are ac x br

Back
Top Bottom