Millionaires

1 large can evaporated milk plus 4 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1-cup brown sugar
1-cup dark Karo syrup
1/2-cup butter melted
2 cups chopped pecans
1-teaspoon vanilla

1. Combine sugars, Karo, butter and milk in a heavy pan. Bring to a boil and cook until a soft ball forms in a cup of cold water.

2. Remove pan from fire while testing, candy over-cooks very quickly.

3. Then add nuts and vanilla and pour into a buttered 9x13-inch cake pan or a glass cake pan works well too to cool.

4. Cool over night in the refrigerator. Then cut into small pieces and dip in this mixture.

In a double boiler melt:

Melt 1 package of dipping chocolate and dip the candy…place on wax paper to dry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls

1 large jar of natural peanut butter
1/2 stick of butter
Powdered sugar
Dipping chocolate

I always keep a jar sitting in the pantry so that as much of the oil that will separate out of it does.

Open the jar and drain off the peanut oil. Dig the peanut butter out of the jar and into a mixer bowl; beat the butter into the peanut butter until smooth. Add enough powdered sugar until it is as sweet as you want it and beat until smooth.

Roll the peanut butter into balls and place them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer. When they are frozen solid (I leave mine in the freezer overnight) roll them in dipping chocolate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caramel Corn

Preheat oven to 250°

Step A:
8 quarts of popped popcorn dumped in a large roasting pan

Step B:
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2-cup light Karo syrup
1/2-teaspoon salt

Step C:
1/2-teaspoon baking soda

Bring step B to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Add baking soda and stir. It will fizz. Pour mixture over the popcorn and mix in well.

Bake for 1 hour, at 250° stir every 15 minutes to dry the caramel.

Spread out on wax paper to cool.

Can be frozen in Tupperware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bread and Butter Pickles

1 large red onion – sliced
4 large cucumbers – sliced
1large bell pepper – sliced
6 cloves garlic – sliced
3-cup water
3-cup cider vinegar
4-1/2 cups sugar
2 heavy pinches kosher salt
1-1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1-1/2-teaspoon turmeric
1-1/2-teaspoon celery seeds

Put the vegetable slices in a large bowl and combine. Tightly pack the vegetables into 2 (1/2 gallon) clean spring-top jars. (I got mine at WalMart for $5.00)

Combine the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat stirring occasionally; bring to a boil. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, put the lid on the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.

Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables, completely filling the jars. Wad up a piece of wax paper and place it on top of the vegetables and push it down then close the jar. The wax paper will keep the vegetables submerged in the pickling liquid.

Refrigerate.

Caramel Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup of sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy cream

1) First, before you begin, make sure you have everything ready to go - the cream and the butter next to the pan, ready to put in. Making caramel is a fast process that cannot wait for hunting around for ingredients. If you don't work fast, the sugar will burn.
2) Heat sugar on high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan. As the sugar begins to melt, stir constantly with a whisk.
3) As soon as all of the sugar crystals have melted (the liquid sugar should be amber in color), immediately add the butter to the pan. Continue to whisk vigorously until the butter has melted.
4) Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat. Add the cream to the pan and continue to whisk to incorporate. Note than when you add the butter and the cream, the mixture will foam up considerably. This is why you must use a pan that is at least 2-quarts (preferably 3-quarts) big.
5) Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then pour into a glass mason jar and let sit to cool to room temperature. (Remember to use pot holders when handling the jar filled with hot caramel sauce.)
6) Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Granola

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jerky

3 cups soy sauce
1-cup brown sugar
1 bottle liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients together and marinate thinly sliced meat for 5 hours. Place on dehydrator or in smoke house to dry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kinda Sorta Sour Pickles
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1-cup water
1-cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup champagne vinegar
1/2-cup sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4-teaspoon turmeric
1-teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon pickling spice
4 whole garlic cloves, smashed

Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean spring-top jar.

Combine the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the garlic, in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 full minutes to wake up the spice flavors.

Add the garlic cloves to the jar. Slowly and gently pour the pickling liquid over the onion and cucumber slices, filling to the top of the jar.

Cool to room temperature. Top off the pickles with any remaining pickling liquid and refrigerate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLUEBERRY SYRUP

3 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2/3 c. light corn syrup
Dash of salt

Put all ingredients in a blender, cover and run on "liquid" setting until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Serve warm over waffles, pancakes or ice cream.

Makes 3 1/2 cups. Can be chilled and reheated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maple Syrup

1-cup water
1-cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1-cup corn syrup
1 tsp. maple flavoring
1 tbsp. butter

Boil water, sugars, and corn syrup. Add butter and flavoring. Simmer until desired thickness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic Yellow Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan (or, two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans, or three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round pans). Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Add the milk, shortening and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).

Bake:
13 x 9 x 2-inch cake for 40 to 45 minutes.
9-inch cakes for 30 to 35 minutes
8-inch cakes for 20 to 25 minutes
or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.

Cool the 9 or 8-inch cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Frost as desired.

Corndogs
This in enough batter for about 6 hotdogs.

1-cup flour
2/3-cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg
3/4-cup milk

Remove the hotdogs from the package and roll them up in paper towels to dry them; let them sit in the paper towels while you make the breading. The breading will not stick to wet hotdogs.

Put the hot dogs on a Popsicle sticks

Mix the ingredients together. Place the batter in a tall glass; the batter will be thick.

Dip the hotdogs in the batter and fry at 375°. Cook two corndogs at a time, rolling the corndogs against one another to cook evenly on all sides.

Cook until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot Cocoa Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Art of Darkness II: Cocoa

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Hot water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

Thank you for the bread and butter pickle recipe! That's something I want to try once I finally get some cukes later this summer. As for the "maple" syrup recipe, I'm pretty sure that's illegal here in Vermont!
wink.png

Homemade All Purpose Natural cleaner

Oh so simple and really works!

Take white pine needles...they are the ones with 5 needles per cluster. Cut small branch stems from tree and put them in a jar. Pack them in well and fill jar with water. Put a tight lid on the jar to seal. Let sit for about a week, then strain. Put into a spray bottle and you have your very own natural household cleaner. Whit pine has many disinfecting and deoderizing properties.

Last edited:
The self sufficient medicine cabinet: all of these remedies are remedies that I know work because I use them myself.

Oil of Oregano
Found at your Health Food Store, make sure you buy a top brand, it is expensive, but worth every penny, and when the 'big' flu comes you won't have anything to worry about, trust me. It must have 75% carvicol content. Comes in small dropper bottles and lasts about a year. THere are many uses for it, too many to list here but research it and you will see. I am NEVER without this natural wonder!

Poison Ivy Antedote
Simply tear off a leaf of your Aloe Vera Houseplant and rub the gel into the affected area. Soothes almost instantly and goes to work healing in not time.

Cracked Feet...tea tree oil. This is another product that you want to buy top quality. You are really wasting your money otherwise. Tea tree oil has 101 uses...make sure you have it in your medicine cabinet.

Ringworm...Crush mustard seed and add a little olive oil to make a paste. Usually only has to be applied once or twice.

Ear infections. (do not use with tubes, this is for fairly healthy ears only)
Cut an onion in half and use a teaspoon to scrape juices up into spoon. Put a few drops in affected ear for almost immediate relief. Morning and night for a couple days usually does it. Use a fresh onion every time. I use this as first defense everytime and rarely do we end up at the docs.

Onions are also very good viral stoppers. If you have someone in your home with a cold or flu you can stop it from spreading by putting cut onions around the house, especially in the sick room

High Cholestrol...Did you know that high cholestrol is usually from not having enough fibre in your diet? It is *not* caused so much by what you eat as is it from what you DON"T eat. Swallow 5-10 dry green split peas per day and watch your cholestrol levels drop

Burns...aloe straight from the plant

If any of you can add to this with tried and true by you remedies, please do so!. My grandmother used to make a cough syrup out of a turnip...I don't know exactly how but do any of you happen to have this recipe? She used to hollow out the turnip and put a couple of ingredients in it, replace the top and store under the kitchen sink. But I don't know what she used!

Last edited:
morelcabin, I am with about oil of oregano! That stuff is wonderful . I put a few drops in an empty capsule, close it and swallow. It helps my sinus issues quite well. Clears your sinuses and helps everything else out while it's at it! The only thing I don't like is the burping afterward! Like I had an Italian pigout the nite before!

Tanya

Quote:
No kidding! I just go this oil this year and drink 1 drop in some water daily when there are bugs around. Once by accident I got 3 drops but drank it anway. Yikes! I was up coughing all night because my throat was like it was burned
roll.png
But, it really seems to ward off sickness...

Hi Morel -
I am also a true believer in natural medicine. Oregano oil is always in my medicine cabinet! I have trouble swallowing it so I figured out a couple of ways to take it. Sometimes I can take it with a spoon of applesauce and another way I found that works is, I bought some empty gelatin capsules and I put the drops in an empty capsule and then I am able to take it easily.

I have another natural cure for common warts. I found this in a book about natural cures. My DS had a wart on his finger and we made a paste of Baking Soda and Castor Oil. Applied this to the wart each night and wrapped it in gause. After 2 weeks, the wart had dropped off and his finger was healed.

Lisa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom