September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I Sure am!! Only 14 of 48 are adults!!!

I kinda messed up. Apparently yesterday was lockdown!! Oops! Just candled, marked air cells, and increased humidity. Only one moved for me, the cochin mix from my flock.

Plans are: Moved 4 week old mottled javas from in house to big coop with adults--- they will have their own area for integration. Move 5 week old sandhill hatchery chicks to old coop/shed with run, making broody coop available for these three once they hatch.

No. More. Chicks. In. The. House.  Wouldn't have been but for the oops that my order ended up materializing after my potential ship date and the broody coop was busy brooding a bovine when I needed it.

That's busy. I have 5 mottled hatching this month and 3 pullets in a coop. There are 4 others out in a separate coop and I have one lone chick to start integrating this weekend, just turned 4 weeks. I've been keeping him in the house because he's all alone but he's going to do just fine with a slow introduction, I think. I don't have room for the new 5 anywhere but inside, at least until November then I'm hoping to add them to the loner.

I have 20 chicks. I assisted the one with the cross beak and it's missing an eye too! From everything I just read on here, the best thing to do is not use that hen again which I wasn't planning on. As for the chick I have no idea I keep thinking it of course won't manage but it seems OK. The black sex link look exactly like what they are supposed to. The blue copper marans x RIR look just like a bcm. In fact everything looks exactly like the pure breed moms they came from. So different from guinea pig genetics, I'll have to read up on it.

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting a hatch batch next week? I'm on day 14.... Seems like everyone else is pip and zip here!!! So exciting. :)

I have 1 lonely egg due to hatch next Thursday. I started with 6, 1 was broken when it arrived and the other 4 either quit early on or did not develop.

I have 20 chicks. I assisted the one with the cross beak and it's missing an eye too! From everything I just read on here, the best thing to do is not use that hen again which I wasn't planning on. As for the chick I have no idea I keep thinking it of course won't manage but it seems OK. The black sex link look exactly like what they are supposed to. The blue copper marans x RIR look just like a bcm. In fact everything looks exactly like the pure breed moms they came from. So different from guinea pig genetics, I'll have to read up on it.

Is it's head deformed? How crossed is the beak?

I have 1 lonely egg due to hatch next Thursday. I started with 6, 1 was broken when it arrived and the other 4 either quit early on or did not develop.

That's what happened to me in August! 3 were broken, 4 went in and only 1 was viable. He's a month old now and doing great.

Is it's head deformed? How crossed is the beak?

Ya it's head is deformed, like concave on the side without the eye. The beak isn't too bad. It's eating and drinking and dealing with 19 other chicks. So I'll just watch it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom