SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
What do you think of red rangers?....

My Red Rangers are very aggressive, or my one Red Ranger I have left. I kept 2 female for breeding and one died recently. They can make it up to a 4 foot hight roosting bar with ease. They forage great and putting a heritage breed over them makes for great meat birds. Also their mixed Female offspring lay between week 19 and 21 (depending on who you breed them with) Their egg size can be erratic, one Red ranger can have a jumbo sized egg and another can have super jumbo sized eggs. I like having them.

For pity's sake...if a single chick survives my incubating prowesslessness it will certainly be a miracle baby. Last Saturday I used every thermometer in the house to get the temperature right on the incubator. Tried to find a good hygrometer locally to no avail so ordered one. It took a week and I finally got it yesterday. When I put it in the incubator it said I was at about 35% humidity, but the incubator says 49%. So I added water. No improvement. I put the new one in a baggy with the wet salt test and after 15 hours it reads 65%. Isn't that supposed to be 75%? Could it be 10% off???:he:barnie

For pity's sake...if a single chick survives my incubating prowesslessness it will certainly be a miracle baby. Last Saturday I used every thermometer in the house to get the temperature right on the incubator. Tried to find a good hygrometer locally to no avail so ordered one. It took a week and I finally got it yesterday. When I put it in the incubator it said I was at about 35% humidity, but the incubator says 49%. So I added water. No improvement. I put the new one in a baggy with the wet salt test and after 15 hours it reads 65%. Isn't that supposed to be 75%? Could it be 10% off???:he:barnie

I find the more instruments I use the more stressed and confused I become. Over time I've found the 2 thermometers that came with my incubators to be the most reliable and consistent. This after trying probably 6-7 other thermometers and hygrometers. This hatch I'm weighing the eggs weekly. Then adjusting humidity based on actual weight loss.

I find the more instruments I use the more stressed and confused I become. Over time I've found the 2 thermometers that came with my incubators to be the most reliable and consistent. This after trying probably 6-7 other thermometers and hygrometers. This hatch I'm weighing the eggs weekly. Then adjusting humidity based on actual weight loss.
Thanks for that! It makes me feel much better. Today I'm heading out to get a different kitchen scale. Mine is obviously not accurate. It's not digital, so it could be reader error. :confused: But some of the eggs lost nearly 20% of their weight in the first 6 days if my readings are accurate. I just don't think they are. The air sacks look about right to me. Well, this will be the learning batch. I feel sorry for the chicks for sure. :(

About the red rangers, I picked up a few chicks from TS last night, and they had red rangers, and @Compost King you made me want some sooo bad, just to cross with some heritage breeds like you did (or do?). But I know how to control myself from buying up the entire bin of chicks lol.
The only thing I feel I need to warn people about is that they are aggressive and they will fly over a fence. Although they are limited by size as far as much far they can fly they seem to get great initial height when they fly up to a roosting bar. I think most large fowl can handle their aggressiveness if they have space because they won't chase anyone for long but I made the mistake of letting my bantams get too close to them and one hen pounced on top of a bantam hen. Had I not been right there to pull her off I think she would have killed the bantam with size alone.

Day 5 (13/8) indian runner, got to wittness this little guys heart beat
20190813_174804.jpg

Day 7 pekin duck (15/8)
20190815_183635.jpg
day 10 pekin ducks (18/8) I suck at photoing
20190818_195640.jpg
20190818_200029.jpg
hows everyone else growing?:caf:pop

Back
Top Bottom