SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I am on my 2nd day and I already noticed my first screw up... yesterday while working on 2 hours of sleep I totally forgot to turn my 8 extra eggs on the side. I am just going to count my blessings that I remembered to water the chickens... I was in such a daze yesterday that I didn't quite know where I was. I even forgot to close 3 coops last night but luckily no predators. I could barely move by night fall after the longest work day I have had since I got out of the navy... but we didn't have work days in the Navy, we had Work weeks because we often worked a week straight and half a day on Sunday... half day work in the navy is 12 hours. My Uncle told me stuff before I went in and I thought he was joking... Nope. If things go wrong out to sea you didn't get the sleep and often things would go wrong for a week or 2 straight.

I have two pips! I'm so delighted the dark egg pipped. It has a terrible aircell coming down 3 sides and lost over 20% it's weight. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a 3rd pip and some chicks!I also realized I forgot to put down the shelf liner. Damn it. Always something.

View attachment 1899167
Yeah! C’mon babies!!!:fl

I am on my 2nd day and I already noticed my first screw up... yesterday while working on 2 hours of sleep I totally forgot to turn my 8 extra eggs on the side. I am just going to count my blessings that I remembered to water the chickens... I was in such a daze yesterday that I didn't quite know where I was. I even forgot to close 3 coops last night but luckily no predators. I could barely move by night fall after the longest work day I have had since I got out of the navy... but we didn't have work days in the Navy, we had Work weeks because we often worked a week straight and half a day on Sunday... half day work in the navy is 12 hours. My Uncle told me stuff before I went in and I thought he was joking... Nope. If things go wrong out to sea you didn't get the sleep and often things would go wrong for a week or 2 straight.
Wow, I bet that you have some fascinating stories about your naval days! Hope that you are able to get caught up on your sleep now!

Well the top space will stay open only covered by hardware cloth so the heat has a place to escape. My other 2 coops that are designed similar are usually pretty warm... I will have to check the thermometer when I get home so I can tell you the difference between the coops and outside.
This coop is going to be built a little different than the others, they have clear fronts this one will be solid. I will report back what that does for the tempView attachment 1899251
That’s a really neat structure! You put clear panels at the front for light? I would think that would make it quite warm? Do you live in a cool place? It’s still baking hot in Oklahoma right now. I ended up needing to work the AM, so I’ve when working on the coop in the PM. Unfortunately it’s going so slow, between mistakes I’ve made and the 95F heat that is wiping me out! I think that any clear panels here would be deadly hot...

Back
Top Bottom