SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I have 40 eggs hatching now (due in about 6 hours).
Another 34 due to hatch Monday evening and 47 due to hatch on the 18th.
All are Black Penedesenca chickens.
I have 32 healthy chicks out of the 40 eggs and another 3 which have pipped that I will try to extract but don't have much hope for. IMO, that is a pretty good result for a breed with an extremely small gene pool.

It's happening! Caught mid zip.

IMG_20190905_164059266.jpg

That’s a really neat structure! You put clear panels at the front for light? I would think that would make it quite warm? Do you live in a cool place? It’s still baking hot in Oklahoma right now. I ended up needing to work the AM, so I’ve when working on the coop in the PM. Unfortunately it’s going so slow, between mistakes I’ve made and the 95F heat that is wiping me out! I think that any clear panels here would be deadly hot...
Those are the ones built in 2017 I have been using them 3 summers now.
The original idea was light. I use a shade cloth over the front in the summer and it helps keep the temps bearable, the coops are in the middle of a pasture with no trees so we have built several shade areas

my broody had a trying day yesterday; first another hen climbed all over her wanting to use the same box, then the dominant roo and his harem decided to roost in the juvenile flock's coop, so the juveniles (after much running round confused) crashed her peace and quiet. She just sat and swore the whole time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom