SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Still not much happening here. Looks like a couple of new pips, possibly. :fl

2122EF0E-1E26-4B03-AEC9-830B7A391640.jpeg

:thumbsup
I'm not currently at elevation but in one of my cabinet incubators I use a small aquarium air pump the last 10 days.

You know how much weight your eggs have lost but have you calculated the percentage of loss?

Roughly, about 4 percent in 7 days. that is based off of a calculation of needing to lose 13 percent by lockdown

Do you adjust the humidity based on the weight loss?
I use an Excel spreadsheet that "tells" me to increase or decrease humidity.

Not exactly. Being at an elevated elevation, I am running the incubator at a higher humidity between 56 and 58 percent, trying to keep it closer to 58. And so far at the one third way through I am at the one third percentage of weight loss, so I am good. At least It looks that way. The other thing I have to deal with is I am in the high desert of the southwest. So now that monsoon season is over the outside humidity level is dropping drastically. back to our normal of around 10 to 15 percent. so it becomes harder to keep the humidity level high I am finding out.

Before I moved here I dealt with being 500 feet above sea level so had no issues

Well, I’ve done it again... I said I was out and done for the season but??? Oops, I just set 20 eggs, although not at my place. Apparently my hatching is “dirty” and “unwelcome” in the part of the farm with conveniences like power and running water. So I’ve taken a leap of faith and am collaborating with the person I did my last hatch for, he has a spare building with power, and I have incubators and heat plates. We can work this out somehow I’m hoping, but more chickens are on the way in 21 short days... I’ve set 2 Marans eggs, 2 MaransXBarnvelder eggs, and the rest a fairly even split of MaransXIsbar and MaransXSapphires (CCLXleghorn)

I won’t be able to update as often as usual, as the hatch is happening on the other side of the island. Oh, for my house to be finished with the incubation an brooding room all set up.... well I’m going to make do, and maybe this will let me set some eggs in October as well. Once my Meat girls (with their handsome new BF) eggs are fertilized and sized up decently! Meatie Rooster was a trade for future hatching eggs or $20 if he or the ladies end up in freezer camp before fertile eggs are produced. We are developing quite the little chicken raising community here! Lol

Back
Top Bottom