SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Well, all bad news here. The hatch was a total loss. 7 eggs went into lockdown alive, none hatched. :hit We had some pips, but none made it to zipping. I let it play out because the cabinet incubator dumps humidity amazingly fast when you open it, and it’s slow to get back up.

So many different things wrong.. One chick was huge, no extra room
in the egg. 2 look like they pipped into veins, lots of blood. 1 looked like it drown. 1 had an exposed abdomen and it’s leg wrapped
around the wrong way. 1 was teeny tiny it’s bitsy.

I think it was temperature related. I turned off the 1502 and won’t use it again until we have this resolved. Next weekend I’ll hatch the second batch of Serama In the Brinsea. Hopefully switching them to the other incubator won’t screw things up too badly.

What a crappy day. :rant I’m off to bed and will hope for a better go of it next Friday. Wishing everyone hatching this weekend much luck. I will live vicariously through you, :pop

Thank you, I'll try that. Mine do not want to eat the chicken starter mix and were not keen on hard boiled egg yolk as well. So if you have any ideas what to give them, please shout. They hatched yesterday, they are in the brooder now and still have not eaten anything.
They do not Need to eat for the first 3 days after hatch, after that they should eat anything you put in front of them.

@shaila how did your quail hatch?

14 hatched, 1 failed hatch, and some pipped/whole eggs still in the incubator I'm giving a little more time.

Pipping began Thursday night, but hatching started after I'd gone out to do some errands Friday morning, which included picking up my chicken chicks. While the chickens have been mostly little angels, the quail have been trying to sleep in their water dish, pecking at each others toes and wings, and of course, one decided it was unhappy about something several times during the night. I appreciate chicks being cute, but every hatch I've been glad when they're past the fragile but totally rude first week. :rolleyes::D

They do not Need to eat for the first 3 days after hatch, after that they should eat anything you put in front of them.
Oh, I didn't know that! Thank you for sharing! I am comparing with quails who start eating and drinking right after hatch and I got a bit worried the chicks won't eat.

@Rockporters all these cases look as malpositions, are they related to temp and humidity or rather to turning of eggs? If humidity drops won't they be shrinkwrapped, instead of all these other problems?
@shaila This is a pretty good hatching rate, congratulations! At what they did they start pipping? And yes, I also have one odd at every hatch that wants to bathe in the water dish all the time. Pecking is normal and I actually like it. BTW, I noticed that those that skirl in the night are always male. Just my observation.

Gosh so many hatchlings going on! I’m new and I hope I’m not intruding. I’ve been lurking for years (hatched my own pet chicken and ducks in 2011) but I’ve never joined and ousted until now. I have quail eggs currently on day 16. Both have externally pipped. One was 13hrs ago but nothing since. Feeling anxious. Never hatched quail before. How long should I wait before explaining to my children it might not have worked out??

Gosh so many hatchlings going on! I’m new and I hope I’m not intruding. I’ve been lurking for years (hatched my own pet chicken and ducks in 2011) but I’ve never joined and ousted until now. I have quail eggs currently on day 16. Both have externally pipped. One was 13hrs ago but nothing since. Feeling anxious. Never hatched quail before. How long should I wait before explaining to my children it might not have worked out??

Welcome to BYC!!!bAnd your not intruding in the tiniest way. Thats what this hatch along is for is to talk about your hatch(es).

Thank you, I'll try that. Mine do not want to eat the chicken starter mix and were not keen on hard boiled egg yolk as well. So if you have any ideas what to give them, please shout. They hatched yesterday, they are in the brooder now and still have not eaten anything.

They probably wont be interested in eating right away since they still have the yolk in their bellies. I am sure they will start eating soon though. I haven't had to worry about that though since I always have a mommy hen taking care of that. She shows them where, when and how to eat.

I hope the baby chicks are doing well.

Ok this weekends hatch is officially over... out of 4 chicken eggs 2 new peepers, and out of 3 turkey eggs 2 hatched.
The first turkey was showing no signs of zipping at 24 hours after pip so I went ahead and let it out... everything looked promising, well a little crusty around the pip like it was s little sticky. When I went back to check the little one was so sticky it was super glued to the floor of the bator! Omg.... so it got a warm bath to unglue its little feathers and this morning it looks much better, I am letting it and its buddy that hatched overnight hang in the bator for a little while longer...
Next weekends batch is mostly red broiler babies and it looks like 20 or so should go into lockdown, I quit keeping trac of exact numbers a while ago.
Here we go again

Back
Top Bottom