SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Yea, the #2 BLRW that hatched for had half of his shell stuck to his back, and i had to get that off of him, i was rly worried for the first bit, and now hes looking so great, I am so happy about that hatch, and the mutt that i hatched with them has died, and I had 15 chicks die in the same brooder less than a week ago, so i figured that maybe it was the bedding, so i did a crazy deep clean on that thing, and replaced the 3 inch deep bedding with a thin, clean layer of new one, and i really think that was the problem, it was all moist under there, and almost moldy, so I think i have fixed the problem, i just need to quit bein so lazy and clean that sucker out more often.

So mostly a lurker but not super new to chickens. This is our first hatch though. Set a dozen eggs 22 days ago and yesterday we had 2 Easter eggers hatch, 1 more 1/2 Easter egger and ?, (RR, Silverlaced, or a Sex link). Used a Triocottage incubator. Forgot to turn the egg turner off till day 20, but apparently got luckyish.

The 2 Easter eggers are dry and will get pulled today and put in the brooder. Have to make that this morning. Time gets away from you with 2 kids and school starting plus sports.

So we bought a rent a coop for heat. But have a ceramic heat lamp if needing a supplement. Going to make a plywood floor with 24”ish cardboard sides and shavings for the floor cover. Have chick starter food, small water supply, small food container.

My brooder is an old display case laid on its side, so its roughly 3 ish feet square.... I like the plexiglass front so we can see in.... oh and the most important feature a top covered in hardware cloth. Of course I cant find any good pics right now.... but I will take some

Yea, the #2 BLRW that hatched for had half of his shell stuck to his back, and i had to get that off of him, i was rly worried for the first bit, and now hes looking so great, I am so happy about that hatch, and the mutt that i hatched with them has died, and I had 15 chicks die in the same brooder less than a week ago, so i figured that maybe it was the bedding, so i did a crazy deep clean on that thing, and replaced the 3 inch deep bedding with a thin, clean layer of new one, and i really think that was the problem, it was all moist under there, and almost moldy, so I think i have fixed the problem, i just need to quit bein so lazy and clean that sucker out more often.

That is A LOT of chicks to lose. Must have been very hard. I was thinking it could have been off gassing from something. Your light or whatever the brooder is made of. But reading your description of mold and dampness that would definitely do it. I don't think deep bedding techniques are meant for chicks.

For my chicks I out them in an old plastic wash tub/sink with paper towels on the bottom and a sprinkling of pine shavings. It gets changed daily or every other day. But because it's so simple it only takes like 3-4 minutes to roll up the paper with shavings and lay down new ones. I don't remove the chicks. When just move aside. I've had 15 plus chicks in there. They get crowded but do well because they're kept so clean. I move them outside when they start flying out of the sink and running free in my basement.

Ok so 4 are in the brooder at the moment. I think the temp is good because they stay quiet while under it but come out to explore and eat/drink, at least 1 has already eaten. When I just transferred the next two I heard a loud chirp from the incubator. I think it may be from my last Easter egger egg. Its got a small hole pecked in it from this morning but nothing new. How long should I give it until I “help” it out if at all?

Looks like it's going to be a few days before I can get some candling pics... it's suddenly turned very rainy here and I don't want to risk them getting wet. I did have a peek at 4 days and saw action in at least 3 of 4.
And my broody 'knows'... as soon as I gave her the eggs she knew something was up. The next day and she was the broodiest I'd ever seen her! This will be our first clutch, but I have a really happy future momma on my hands :)

Attachments

• Sittin Foofy.jpg
    Sittin Foofy.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 7
Its got a small hole pecked in it from this morning but nothing new. How long should I give it until I “help” it out if at all?
Somebody here advised to wait at least 24 hours. But I have an egg that pipped yesterday morning, i.e. more than 24 hours ago and I can still hear the chick inside...

Back
Top Bottom