SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Lockdown will be the 26th. I know I know, a day early? Im doin that bc @Compost King locks down a day or so early and he usually has pretty good hatches, so im gonna try that method with this hatch.
I barely clear 50% success, although i doubt its the early lock downs that cause it, but I do have to say I am not the most successful hatcher. I make up for it by starting out with a lot of eggs.

Ok, well I still want to try this method nonetheless. :D
It comes in handy if you have early hatchers which I did recently, I went into lock down a day early just because I was worried I might forget... and in less than 24 hours I had pips. every hatch since I have gone into lock down a day earlier than the last. I am not sure when the earliest you can go into lock down without problems I believe @Matieus27 told us last winter when the earliest you can go into lock down and since he is back in the hatch a longs I thought I would give him a shout and maybe he will let us know.

----- actually he said the point where you do not need to turn eggs anymore if I recall correctly, not the earliest you can go into lock down. Lock Down also involves air cell size and other issues.

Last edited:
Oops I totally forgot about the September hatch a long! Catching up today, but Im like 30 pages back.

My delawares are LOST! The first time Ive spent so much money on chicks from a great breeder, and, UGH. They should've been here this AM, they have never been scanned anywhere along the way, the only person you can speak to says they put them on the truck, and, that's where we are. :-\

My local people insist that this hub will hand deliver anything late to their branch, and, since that hasn't happened today, they won't be here. :-\ No one knows where they are. How hard is it to keep track of 25 screaming babies????

Oops I totally forgot about the September hatch a long! Catching up today, but Im like 30 pages back.

My delawares are LOST! The first time Ive spent so much money on chicks from a great breeder, and, UGH. They should've been here this AM, they have never been scanned anywhere along the way, the only person you can speak to says they put them on the truck, and, that's where we are. :-\

My local people insist that this hub will hand deliver anything late to their branch, and, since that hasn't happened today, they won't be here. :-\ No one knows where they are. How hard is it to keep track of 25 screaming babies????

I just don’t see how this could happen... I really don’t! A chirping box full of holes is really hard to miss... makes me glad that the only way chicks ship to where I live is direct by float plane. I really hope they turn up soon and healthy for you! :fl

It comes in handy if you have early hatchers which I did recently, I went into lock down a day early just because I was worried I might forget... and in less than 24 hours I had pips. every hatch since I have gone into lock down a day earlier than the last. I am not sure when the earliest you can go into lock down without problems I believe @Matieus27 told us last winter when the earliest you can go into lock down and since he is back in the hatch a longs I thought I would give him a shout and maybe he will let us know.

----- actually he said the point where you do not need to turn eggs anymore if I recall correctly, not the earliest you can go into lock down. Lock Down also involves air cell size and other issues.

@Compost King That’s been awhile back I don’t think I remember what I said

Ok so seven hatched and in the brooder and more peeps from the incubator. This is so much fun. This hatch will be going in the protected coop and run. I think I will have to modify an old unused doghouse for extra coop/roosting area.

Cant wait for this spring. Going to start early spring to get a large free range flock. A few roos and lots of hens, tick control with the benefit of eggs. Lots of ticks around my place thanks to all the elk.

The 1 EE egg I had a question about, partially opened 36hours ago and then zero movement or signs of life we pulled. It was starting to smell so I opened it outside and seemed like a formed hatched chick that just up and died. With the good comes the bad. RIP little chick.

@Compost King That’s been awhile back I don’t think I remember what I said
I can't remember exactly either, I was curious as to when we can stop turning the eggs and they will still develop. I can go through the old hatch threads and find it when I have time. But if anyone else knows please share.

I feel like it is 15 days?

I saw a study once that showed the worst time NOT to turn is days 4-7. Pretty sure it was posted here somewhere. Not turning then led to the worst hatch rates. I wonder if I can find it... I'll look.It was before I started bookmarking posts.

I always remember that specifically as I always recall it because it makes me nervous not turning shipped eggs the first few days.

Back
Top Bottom